Advertisement

Duplicating Faces (3DS)

Started by March 28, 2003 06:55 PM
11 comments, last by Raymondo 21 years, 5 months ago
Hey, I've been working on a 3d model of the M16A2 rifle, and I need some help. I made a flat plane for the m16 magazine, and I extruded it. (with the help of an image in the background for reference) But the one side of the model is missing it's faces (obviously). Is there a way to duplicate the faces on the one side, and attach them to the other side of the object? How do I give the other side faces? Take a look at this image and also this image Also, I was fixing up a few spots, and I deleted some faces on each side, so I replaced the faces, the only problems is, the new faces are tri-faces, not quads, like the rest. How do I go about made a quad face? (I circled the faces in the second image) Hopefully you guys can help me. [edit]I gone done fixid my bad grammar and shpelling [/edit] [edited by - raymondo on March 28, 2003 7:57:43 PM]
Help, anyone?

C'mon I'm guessing this is a pretty easy question to answer.

ack, sorry about the angry face, I missed the smiley.

[edited by - raymondo on March 29, 2003 9:03:47 PM]
Advertisement
My guess would be those are back facing polygons, so you would need to reverse the vertex order on them.
"...."
I''m sure that if you read the MANUAL tha came with that $3,000 program that you bought, you could find the solutions to your problem.

That is if you bought it and you have a manual. If you don''t, why are you expecting someone to help you with warez?

Find an online tutorial and stop asking for help with stolen software.
Now, don''t assume the software is stolen/pirated/warez just because someone is having a problem with it. Manuals are not always very clear (especially that of 3DSMAX, from personal experience), and maybe Raymondo is having some difficulties understanding the process described in the manual. I don''t support people pirating software - but we shouldn''t assume everyone asking a question is pirating software. After all, questions are what this forum is for.

-Nick "digisoap" Robalik
Web Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Design
http://www.digital-soapbox.com
nick@digital-soabox.com
-Nick "digisoap" RobalikWeb & Print Design, 2D & 3D Illustration and Animation, Game Designhttp://www.digital-soapbox.com[email=nick@digital-soapbox.com]nick@digital-soabox.com[/email]
I did not assume that it was warez. It was obvious from the way the quesiton way worded.

There is further evidence in that he has not responded to the post saying that he has the manual and can''t find or understand the solution.

Although, I don''t use MAX, what he asks seems pretty basic, and would be easy to find in the manual or one of the tutorial guides.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by yspotua
I did not assume that it was warez. It was obvious from the way the quesiton way worded.

There is further evidence in that he has not responded to the post saying that he has the manual and can''t find or understand the solution.

Although, I don''t use MAX, what he asks seems pretty basic, and would be easy to find in the manual or one of the tutorial guides.

ACtually, 3dsmax is hideosly over-complicated in many areas that are simple in other modellers. And The manual isn''t any help at all. Have you ever tried to wade yourself through that thing? I mean, even how it explains how to create primitives is overcomplicated.

Raymondo, I believe that what you are looking for is creating a mirror of your image.

--------------------------------------------
Optimus Prime: Private Investigator!

Oscar Mike Foxtrot Golf! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Well Mr Saturn, if that IS your real name...
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
As I have already made very clear to digisoap, my copy of 3ds max is release 3 and was purchased at a garage sale in very poor condition, and the thickass manual was not included (nor the box).

Right now my only source of credible information is the library and these forums.

Can anyone here help me out? Or am I wasting ym time?

Not trying to be rude, but I could sure use to some help

[edited by - raymondo on March 31, 2003 4:07:17 PM]
Hey, I use 3DS max a little bit (im trying to learn too)and i have run into that problem too... i fixed it by creating another plane and welding it on the back. It is very time consuming becuase you have to move all the vertices around to fit the original model. The other way is to make a mirror of it and weld the vertices together. I used that method for making my a-10

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955) That is so very true...
go edit mesh, select EDGE, Highlight the quads, go suface properties and click visible, thats how i turn quads into triangles... i think....

Hope that helped...

Paul Greasley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement