🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm Done! Yes!

Started by
40 comments, last by Tiso 24 years ago
Thanks everyone! Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Robhog, it''s a little to late not to start another project. A few Quest for Glory fans asked me to program a "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" style game only with QFG questions. I couldn''t say no, so that''s my new project!.

Guardian Angel Interactive
Advertisement
Good job!

I know whenever I finish a project, or even work out a hard algorithm its a big thrill. Its part of what keeps me in programming.

For those boo birds out there--I didn''t even have a computer until I was 14. Its all relative. Remember, you''re not competing with anyone. Just being able to write a program puts you in a echelon many people will never reach.

Finally, I think the best advice I can give is to remember to write everything as if you will use it somewhere else later on. I can''t see your code, but what would be really cool is if you could take the same functions you use in this program and use them unchanged with some sort of visual interface. The best programmers are lazy programmers--they only write the same function once.
Actually, my numbers aren''t off… Some people are just slow starters.
Thanks again everybody! It is a big thrill for me and I think that''s what keeps me programming. The rewards that come at the end of all the hard work and frustration. The soul reason to program! Okay, I''m done preaching.

Not to put you down but...I am 13 and that program is VERY easy to make. I am learning game programming and started 3 months ago. NO OFFENSE!

Are you in an advanced math class also? I am in pre-algebra and in 7th grade.

-Alex
I looooove programming! Even at my young age.
compfanatic:

If you aren''t trying to offend him then whats the point of posting stuff like that? All you''re saying is "look how much better I am then you".
Thank you jLeslie.

Sure it''s easy to you, but I worked my butt off trying to make it! Yes I''m in 7th, and yes I''m done with pre-alg. Just because we''re the same age and stuff but that doesn''t mean the same level.

Besides, programming isn''t my main priority either. Soccer tournaments just passed and that took up a whole weekend not counting practice all week. All summer I have to train for High School soccer. So, that doesn''t leave a whole lot of time for programming. Yes I''m moving up to 8th, but I have to get ready for the High School league now since I already play High Schoolers and want to get better. (My league age is 12-19)

I''ll progress at my pace, you progress at yours.

You''re right, I didnt delete the letter
- DanielMy homepage
quote:
Not to put you down but...I am 13 and that program is VERY easy to make. I am learning game programming and started 3 months ago. NO OFFENSE!

Are you in an advanced math class also? I am in pre-algebra and in 7th grade.

-Alex

Sorry, but, I see no point in posting that message if you weren''t trying to put Tiso down. It''s really rather mean to get down on newbies like that. Also, to everybody: Age matters not on this mb. Only skill level. I don''t see how that can be made more clear.
Do some of you people just get off by telling people there stuff is junk. Or by saying, "Well you suck and I am much better. When I was your age I was programming all sorts of good stuff. That program you made aint s***"
That isnt exactly what some of you were saying but it meant the same thing.
I am 21 now and attending NCSU for a degree in Computer Science....I didn''t start programming anything until my Freshman year 2 years ago when I had CSC114 which is C++ Programming and then CSC210 which is Advanced C++ programming (i.e pointers and polymorphism and that good junk)....
Then I wasn''t doing graphics until the beginning of ''99 when I got my own compiler and downloaded DirextX SDK......then I started working on games and the like about half way through last year......
Now I think I am very good and efficient in using C++ and pretty darn good in direct draw and making games......
I guess what I am trying to say is that every one learns at their own pace and at different ages.....C++ isn''t something you can learn overnite (or even over a few months, at least not all of it) especially when it comes to graphics and implementing them in games......so get off the poor guys back allright
And to those of you who say you learned *everything* about C++ and directX and god only knows what else in only a few months then I think we should all get on our knees and worship you...
all hail the super geniuses that stay at home and do nothing but program at the age of 13 instead of interacting with the outside world (like playing soccer);

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement