🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Half Life 2 SDK & Mods

Started by
34 comments, last by Prozak 20 years, 3 months ago
It is a new design. That is what they have been working on for the past couple of years.

No no no no! :)
Advertisement
Yes, this engine is done from scratch (no C, yay! I hated moronic things like "entvars ev" and saying Person->ev->Life and things like that). From what I''ve heard the engine was developed over the last four years and was finished in September 2002. Now they''re working on actual game stuff.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
I''d like to see someone do a remake of the first Half-Life in Half-Life 2 engine. That would be awesome. I''m sure you''d have to get Valve''s permission to distribute it, though.
"I am Galstaff sorceror of light!""Then how come you had to cast magic missile?"
know what? that actually isn''t a bad idea...!
There are a lot of modders haning out at

www.halflife2.net

Check the forums.

Some projects announced are pretty cool, but ofcourse you get the silly ones too, like the remake of this and that game, and VERY original (irony) shooters.

Some of the more original ideas involve making rpg-games with the engine. The official Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines is ofcourse a testiment to the possibility of using the engine like this. There are even talk (rumors?) about the SDK having some sort of tools for easy rpg-making, although I dont know what or if its even true.

Just be sure to check this forum-topic for a list of signs that a mod-project is doomed before you choose one *lol*

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=70c1d0f5bc39a36d785c7dbc4c65a98f&threadid=699

----PATRIOTISM----
“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar.”
— Julius Caesar

"I am enormously proud to be an American. I would say that the things that our corporate-controlled government has done at best are shameful and at worst genocidal-but there's an incredible and a permanent culture of resistance in this country that I'm very proud to be a part of."
Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine

[edited by - _Danneman_ on June 7, 2003 6:01:46 AM]
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
Thanx for the link.
I went there, registered, and now I''m looking for a team.
Learning the basics and getting set to do some serious HL2 modding,

once again thanx for tha tip,

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams]
I Am Digerati.

happy to help. btw, whats your interest? Mapping, scripting AI/game-events, 2D-artist...what position would you like to fill in a modgroup?

Since there is very little info on how the SDK will actually work, the diferent modgroups are stuck doing what every devgroup should do first - planning the game. But if scripting is your thing...well, a pretty safe bet is that they will use C++ for it, just like HL numero uno. So learning C++ or just brushing up on the ol'' C++ know-how (depending on your previous knowledge) is probably a good idea.

----PATRIOTISM----
“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar.”
— Julius Caesar

"I am enormously proud to be an American. I would say that the things that our corporate-controlled government has done at best are shameful and at worst genocidal-but there''s an incredible and a permanent culture of resistance in this country that I''m very proud to be a part of."
Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
Well, a bit of background:
I''m currently working as an A.I. Researcher, on fuzy logic.
I code in every language I can learn, and I learn quickly,
C++, VB6, Asm, Asm for MicroControllers (Robots), HTML, PHP,
JSP, Pl/SQL, Java, bla bla bla

I''m working on my own engine (so cliche) and finishing 2 courses at Game Institute (www.gameInstitute.com) on Binary Space Partioning and Opengl.

I also "do" Robotics on my spare time.

I own and maintain (when possible) my own website (check my signature), and I write sci-fi and fantasy on my spare time, sometimes to other people''s projects, like other programmers, modd groups, etc...

I''m very interested im MODDing, cause it will allow me to have a look under the hood of some of today''s most advanced game engines, I will be able to add it to my CV, and it will allow me (hopefuly) to work with some very talented ppl.

I Am Digerati.

Well, you definitely got skills - just hope some of the mods can put them to good use

Dude, I see youre from Portugal! My dad''s from Portugal (mom swedish) - from Braga up north (near Porto). You from Lisbon? I hear you are pretty forward on AI (especially robotics) in Portugal nowadays. How come?

----PATRIOTISM----
And I am Caesar.”
— Julius Caesar

"I am enormously proud to be an American. I would say that the things that our corporate-controlled government has done at best are shameful and at worst genocidal-but there''s an incredible and a permanent culture of resistance in this country that I''m very proud to be a part of."
- Tom Morello, Rage Against the Machine
Ya, Im from Portugal, Lisbon.
We have great minds here in Portugal, in all fields, but, unfortunately there isn''t much money to go around, even less for the "theoretical" sciences, as artificial intelligence still is sometimes seen by the "money man".

Im currently working with one of the worlds leading minds in fuzzy logic, as an assistant, due to my knowledge of neural networks, the fact that I designed a new kind of neural network architecture, and my coding and electronic skills also.

Your dad is from Braga, yes, thats from up North.
Come visit this beautiful country, and bring your family.
Your dad never thought of showing you the country he was born in?

I Am Digerati.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement