🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Half Life 2 SDK & Mods

Started by
34 comments, last by Prozak 20 years, 3 months ago
I am looking forward to tf2 64 player fun on the source engine.

I think valve have been lasy with the modding sdk for hl2 they are offering a c++ sdk which ok is not a bad thing but when you look at unreal and callofduty they offer so much more. The modder does not need the latest version of VC++ they can use what comes with the game.

I had a lot of fun modding COD and that was pretty powerful.

I read on planethalflife they are going to ship the sdk early to certain mod teams so they can get a head start. I presume these will be teams like the front line forces, firearms and alien based one(which I also think valve will buy next).

should be good.
Advertisement
Counter stike is coming out for half life2 but by steam. I heard you have to pay monthly too but i hope not.
wow WaterMelon34 , you just necroed a 9 month old thread ehhehehe

Salsa cooked it, your eyes eat it! [Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][My DevDiary]
[Yann L.][Enginuity] [Penny Arcade] [MSDN][VS RoadMap][Humus][BSPs][UGP][NeHe]
Prozak - The GameDever formally known as pentium3id
quote: Original post by dopeflow
yea, counterstrike is ONLY the most popular online game right now and has been for like 2 years.

man, I bet the people at valve are so fucking pissed at that mod.

Not really, valve sell the retail, Xbox and single player versions. its the mods creators who are pissed off!
quote: Original post by Prozak
Ya, Im from Portugal, Lisbon.
We have great minds here in Portugal, in all fields, but, unfortunately there isn''t much money to go around, even less for the "theoretical" sciences, as artificial intelligence still is sometimes seen by the "money man".
Not at all. Autotrading systems are a use of AI that financial institutions have employed. Most courses on Financial Mathematics have a module or two on some AI topic since it is seen as useful.
Hrm, misinformation...

quote:
Not really, valve sell the retail, Xbox and single player versions. its the mods creators who are pissed off!
Pissed off? They''ve got jobs at Valve and Gearbox now, along with worldwide recognition. I don''t think they''re pissed off.

quote: Counter stike is coming out for half life2 but by steam.
Yes...
quote: I heard you have to pay monthly too but i hope not.
...no. Or at least, not necessarily.

What they''re planning on doing is this: Either:
a) pay monthly and get all the updates and new stuff that comes out
OR
b) pay once and get the game, and access to bugfixes/tech fixes, but that''s all

You pick which one you want. I think the idea is that the second option won''t include things like new maps and models (and while you can install those by hand, I''d expect there''ll be some content that you won''t be able to get hold of unless you''re a paying customer).

Aanyway. On the HL2 modding front, Softimage are meant to be releasing the Modelling tools today. Should be interesting to see what can be done with it, and should give us all some insight into how the model system in HL2 works (the muscular animation and so on).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement