🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hover -- playable 3D racing demo

Started by
66 comments, last by Eric 23 years, 10 months ago
could not open file track1.dat is it in the right directory
btw i think this is what most ppl should do
ie redo alot of the 2d stuff with 3d features
(im guessing from the screenshots)
is it just me or is it i download someit which ppl say is great but its completely crap. (and i mean crap in a bad way)

Edited by - zedzeek on August 10, 2000 10:08:44 AM
Advertisement
------------------------------
HOVER caused an invalid page fault in
module at 0000:baa0ef86.
Registers:
EAX=baa30f90 CS=015f EIP=baa0ef86 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=837ee894 SS=0167 ESP=0066de84 EBP=000000a8
ECX=8030830e DS=0167 ESI=0066dee0 FS=3cb7
EDX=00000000 ES=0167 EDI=840d9c44 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 2a 8b 98 38 01 00 00 3b eb 0f 84 69 02 00 00
Stack dump:
000000a8 840d9c44 0066dee0 00000003 86810084 86810080 86810084 00000001 00000000 baa0ee60 840d9c44 00000001 00000007 000000a8 0066df20 00000000

----------------------------------

Ok, so that probably doesn''t help . I run in 32bit color (800x600), and when I try running Hover3D then, I get the ''could not create Direct3DDevice'' message. The dialog is not modal, so I try switching to RGB, and then it goes into full screen mode as if the game will start, but then the screen just stays black. If I rightclick I get the popup menu, and I can access the menu with ALT, but I can''t actually play the game.

I''m running a:
PII 400
128 MB RAM
Voodoo Banshee 16MB (I believe that''s the name of it)
DX7

I program some D3D, and I never have a problem creating the Direct3DDevice, and I use the IID_IDirect3DHALDevice or whatever it is and get no problems. Hmm.

--Mike
Hi Eric,

Great game you made. I get an FPS in the range of 44-68, on a Riva TNT2 Ultra 32 MB VRAM, DirectX 7, 192 MB Sys RAM, 450 MHz PIII.

I''d suggest that you give your player the ability to control the camera angle. I know you said that you can''t afford more polygons but... your terrain _looks_ like it is pretty small. Maybe there''s something you''re doing that we don''t know about that takes many CPU cycles or rendering power.

Another suggestion is that you make the game a little easier. As it is right now, it''s hard for an average player to control the craft and manuver it through the terrain.

Is this a commercial venture or are you planning to make it as a project to release the source code?

Good luck, and congratulations for work well done!
- OldManDave.
mike; change the color mode to 16 bit, and try it, if it doesnt try 640 480 res
Ysaneya, Ok, now I see what you mean -- I didn''t know you had more than one HAL device. Yeah, currently the enumeration just tries one hardware device (I''m using the code from SDK samples)... if I have time I can probably have it try every hardware device until it finds one that works (so you can get "into" the game loop )

Cygon, I know what you mean about the clipping... I still need to work on camera placement, I think.

Zedzeek, I''m sorry the demo didn''t work for you... at least you were mature about it. And you''re absolutely right, starting today I will definitely go back and change everything to 2D... all those "hills" and "jumps" are pretty stupid anyway... oh, and yes, it''s just you.

Anonymous, I''m hoping you got that page fault when you tried to switch to the RGB device. Suffice to say, that dialog box should have been modal. As for why the device creation failed in the first place, I really have no idea; I enumerate the available devices, pick one, and create it. Any ideas?

OldManDave, I agree, the difficulty is way too high right now. Anyway, basically I''m making Hover so that I''ll have something to show employers, and I''m also entering it in IGF (indiegames.com). I will also look into publishing it. I don''t want to release the source -- this is my first Win/DirectX project and it is certainly not something other people should use as a reference
Hey Eric

Forget about Zedzeek, he is a loser

I think your game rocks

Celeron 450
128 MB RAM
Voodoo3
100 FPS

Green Erick Software
Yo Eric.

Your screenshots look great.
Unfortunatly I can''t seem to run your game.

When I run the game it shows a white window
and after a few seconds I get a error message:

''RenderToShadowTexture > SetRenderTarget() failed
Error Code: -2005532632 - DDERR_CURRENTKYNOTAVAIL''

I''m running it on a PII 233 with a Riva TNT2Ultra
and 160Megs of RAM

Hope you can fix this because I''m dying to play your game

The Rock

-BAD software-
The Rock
(Was anonymous, now registered.)

I''ve found that my Hardware cannot render in windowed mode, I do not believe. I was messing around with the Billboard thing from the .exe when this happened. It did support (at a low framerate) the RGB technique. When I switched to full screen mode, HAL worked fine. I was running high fps at 800x600x16... (but only 2 fps with HEL )

I think if the program started in fullscreen by default (which most would prefer, surely... maybe just me), it would run. Think about this for a minute. Any decent HAL will render in fullscreen mode. Not all render in windowed mode. Start in fullscreen mode, give an option in a menu to switch (or the alt+enter thing) to windowed mode. If the HAL can''t do it, stay in fullscreen.

--Mike
--Mike
glROCKs(), your''s is the first card I''ve seen that doesn''t fail "silently" on the render-to-texture... most people''s hardware just doesn''t do anything. Anyway, I''ve implemented a backup shadowing method just recently, and I will try to release the updated demo/patch soon.

mikedoty, yeah, I think I mentioned this earlier, but I want the game to run in fullscreen, I just haven''t gotten around to that. Currently, I believe the enumeration will pick the RGB/HEL device at startup if the HAL doesn''t support windowed mode.

well, the game looks pretty good, it runs alright (30-35fps) on my celeron433 with tnt2 M-64, but i dont have shadows
instead i have this weird weird purpley-bluey square thing around my vehicle...pretty much the same as richardve

we have the same video card, so that could be the problem

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement