Advertisement

C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by May 14, 2006 01:11 PM
261 comments, last by Melvin18 15 years, 2 months ago
hi am a noob i quess .
i want to join this thing right now i am lerning 8051 simulator form a cd
can i suggest a cd a really good one is computer sicense lab its really good and easy to under stand for a 15 year old like me it onley cos 7 dollars

i will probaly join if the book is cheepor if u use this cd

my first post

woot woot
o yea if u want to see how the cd is just email me and i will email a page

it also comes with a compiler

it teches how to program a rpn calc 8051 sumilator c++
Advertisement
Sign me up as well!
berserk89@gmail.com
Quote: Original post by jwalsh
As for IDE, there will definitely be a standard for the workshop. It will most likely be Dev-C++ as it comes with many of the books, it has a small download size for those who don’t have the books but want to follow our discussions, and is relatively easy to get working.

I believe Visual Studio is the superior IDE, but its large download size and its VAST array of settings, etc...can sometimes make it overly complicated for the novice programmer.
Perhaps, but the debugger more than makes up for it IMO. Edit & Continue and step by step debugging were very helpful when I was learning C++.

If it's still not an option, I'd also recommend Code::Blocks. It's open source, small, has lots of useful features, and supports both MinGW and the VC++ 2003 Toolkit (among others).
Hello all,

I've posted an updated proposal on the first page (Post #1) of this thread. Rather then keep posting updates to the proposal, I'll just modify that original post from now on, though I'll continue to respond to individual comments in the usual fashion.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Quote: Original post by nuvem:
Perhaps, but the debugger more than makes up for it IMO. Edit & Continue and step by step debugging were very helpful when I was learning C++.

If it's still not an option, I'd also recommend Code::Blocks. It's open source, small, has lots of useful features, and supports both MinGW and the VC++ 2003 Toolkit (among others).

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll make sure to check out Code::Blocks.

I don’t need convincing that Visual Studio is the superior IDE. [smile] It's just that VC EE is a 450 MB Image file, too hefty for people with slower internet connections or working on their parents' computers. As well, superior doesn’t always mean easier. Although I agree its powerful debugging capabilities makes it extremely usable, I cant image what configuring a project would be like in VC EE for people with no previous programming experience.

I think a more light-weight IDE would be best for "beginning" C++ programmers. If we ever have an "intermediate" or "advanced" Workshop, I'm certain visual studio will be the IDE for that, as well as for C#. [smile]

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
You mentioned the tutors contributing to a wiki. I think thats a great idea. There's no reason there can't be a forum and wiki. (the wiki would be for reference. Basically take the place of the stickied threads.)

An added bonus to this is that 4 or 5 months down the road, we have a helpful wiki book made. Wikibooks are often easier to follow than forum stickies, imo.

since everybody seems to be giving e-mail addresses, perhaps I should have. I just didnt see a request for on anywhere. Regardless, crazyishone@yahoo.com

[Edited by - crazyishone on May 16, 2006 3:20:48 PM]
This is going to be a very interesting course...

Only a few have turned up wanting to tutor, and a flock of new-comers wanting to take the course.

In other words: I can't wait!!! I like helping people ;)
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
This workshop sounds fantastic! You got another student enrolled.

[Edited by - Overclockedx86 on May 18, 2006 11:16:32 AM]
Quote: Original post by jwalsh
Quote: Original post by Michael Tanczos
Moodle would be IDEAL for this. If you can get past it's look, it's far superior to the Game Institute in format, better than Blackboard, better than most LMSs out there.

But then, I've spent the past entire semester researching online learning. A forum is probably not the best way to go.

And lastly, our forums do support sub-forums.

That's cool. Thanks for posting that, Michael. I'd agree that a forum may not be the best format for this endeavor. Unfortunately, GDNet is where the people go that need help, and there's such a great community already here.

Moodle is a piece of software that you install on a server. Like, say you have a few teachers for a course.. for the course you could post web pages, graded assignments that require participants to submit a file, polls, quizzes, collaborative workshops where peer evaluation takes place, a course wiki where users can edit, discussion forums that can either be single-threaded discussions or anything goes (including peer review of individual posts). The newest version also supports participant blogs, so participants can post about their progress.

Moodle is a social constructionist software, meaning that the course itself ultimately gets built by the collaboration of the teacher as well as all the students. Since it sounds as though you want to have the participants actively involved in sharing in the learning process, this is why I recommended it.

It also allows participants to actually "enroll" themselves in the course with a click of a button, allowing you to better track the actual participants.

---
Michael Tanczos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement