🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

03.02 - Language Topic Requests

Started by
40 comments, last by Teej 21 years ago
I know it''s already been mentioned and a link posted but I''d really appreciate an article on linked lists. This would be a huge help because there one of the few basic ideas I have no concept of as of yet.

But I will check that link out, too.

Crash,

We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
Advertisement
asylum: Good idea -- I should try and get a ''Using MSVC'' article up there!

cliffhawkens: It''s good that you mention it -- no tutorial series should be without data types and all of those *ahem* wonderful typedefs. As for the OOP, well, we might evolve to that at some point, but not for the forseeable future.

Black_Flag: Some of the items in your list are already going to make its way into the tutorial articles themselves (i.e. sprites, 2D animation, sound). We have to be carefull when mixing 2D and 3D topics though -- 3D is a whole new ballgame (which I''d like for us to play in someday soon).

logicbomb and FragLegs: A little inline assembly never hurt nobody...but I''ll leave that for when we actually have a need for it (as part of an article or later topic). Oh, but I do like the idea of stack/heap memory and will consider that soon.

Shmmee and Crash: Although ElCabong is right, and there are tutorials out there for linked lists, I''m still undoubtedly going to give them fair treatment when the time comes to use them the first time.

RandomGamer: Don''t you worry -- we''ll be playing with pixels very soon!

I realize that I didn''t cover everyone, but I''ll always go through the entire topic when considering articles to write. Trust me, every comment helps.

I''ve got to get Pointers out of the way, and then I''ll hit one or two of these suggestions. Thanks all!

Teej

Sweet... I''m going to have to go out there and buy that video game programming book with a copy of the learners edition MSVC++ compiler so that I can follow along... I''m tired of having to figure out ways around my compiler''s incompatability.
I''m also interested in learning techniques for randomly generating things (ie. maps, levels, sprite placement on maps, etc.) I don''t know if you''ll be getting into this, but it would be cool to hear about. I''m sure it would be similar to AI techniques, but still.
I really liked the idea about heap vs stack memory and calling conventions for functions, and why passing a value to a function and in that function taking the pointer to the value and returning that, Why is that a bad idea ? :D ....

I know the answer but a lot of people doesn''t and that is just such a fundamental thing that it should be dealt with, and also understanding this is great for understanding of why a function call inside a inner loop is a bad idea.
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
I have looked through the posts and haven''t found this suggestion specifically but loading and manipulating bitmaps would be a big help for me.

I really don''t know how you manage to find the time to do what you do. Well done, I have a hard enough time keeping up.
**Knowledge is Power**
feverpitch: Thanks! I''m sure that some people who are right on my tail wouldn''t agree that I''m ''keeping up with it'' as well as they''d like, but hey, I''m trying my best.

As for loading bitmaps, there''s a (new) article up called 04.04 - DirectDraw Surfaces that looks at loading bitmaps (and dumping them into DirectDrawSurface objects).

Teej

What is a mud? I''ve seen it two or three times now in posts.

Thanks!
I am here, you are there.Joruli
MUD stands for Multi User Dungeon. I was originally used to describe text-based online games with multiple simulaneous players, and now applies to things like EverQuest.

"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
-Japanese Proverb

Hello Teej! great job...so far....

I have a question :
What is a "template "? I am from Romania and I am thinking that
maybe this word can''t be translated in may language so pls ,
give me somme sinonims....

Mask

P.S. I subscribe to Black_Flag''s list . So hellp as much as you
can ( read: if you have time )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement