🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What are the chances of sucesses?

Started by
52 comments, last by BUDcalledKIND 22 years, 10 months ago
Okay. My ire is hereby raised at Drizzt.

One: I have developed and self-published three games. Unfortunately, because I got sick of dealing with it myself, I canned the games. Didn't sell all too well anyway.

Two: Your little "insults" about me not having a life are unfounded, immature, and ignorant. I play on my school football and baseball teams. I do quite a few things. So do EVERYONE in these topics one small favor:

GROW UP!

I mean, those insults were puerile. I am quite good at computers, yes. Because the money is there. And calling me lifeless is incredibly moronic - I happen to be quite active, as I stated above.

Thirdly, your spending that much time writing insults to me specifically, which are, by the way, badly written, badly thought, and utterly insignificant, shows how immature and small you yourself are.

Fourth, I absolutely did not tell them to give up. I encourage these topics because they discourage the people who do, as someone else said, think that they can immediately become John Carmack and make a million bucks. I encourage those that have the foresight, the TRUE drive, and the skills to make games. All the luck to them. But I dislike those people that I said above - one game and you're a millionaire.

On a happier note - Spikey, I'm flattered to have someone with experience - more than me, probably, but then again - agree with me. Anything else to add, spikey?

Edited by - Edward Ropple on September 10, 2001 5:57:44 PM
http://edropple.com
Advertisement
I did accuse only you of being this way, noone else. And I really do not have as much time to argue with you as you have with me. If you are under the age of 18, then you should help encourage people to make games. I care little for money in games, I would be happy with enough to live. And, I never said anything about making millions of dollars. I don''t care how you think of me, but you seem to care how I think of you. I won''t press that any further, I don''t want to be the annoying one here. I do not believe anyone should be denied the chance to try. The chance to suceed; well, nothing is fair. If you think by suceeding I mean making alot of money, you are wrong. Suceeding to me is completing your life goal, I doubt many will. Unfortunately, we have freedom of speech, I usually like this, but not when you are spoiling someones dream. Let them learn the hard way, if they need to. As a young adult, you knew probably for acouple years now about the ways life works. The 11 year old children on this site who are as determined as can be, they do not. When they see people they assume are expierienced, they take thier advice. If they see people telling them: "Hey, I have been making games for 5 years, never had one published, I spend all my money on beer(which is a very little bit of money) and I have no life besides trying to suceed," they destroy dreams. "5 years!?" the young person thinks to himself,"that is very long. I don''t think I would even make it through 5 years of computers, especially if I am going to turn out like THAT!" You know that the person in probably not even reliable, and personally can''t handle game programming, and especially not in his newly found drunken state, but a child does not!

As for insults, I did not mean to insult you(at least with most of the words), I was using it more as an example.

I, on the other hand, have things that need to be done, I am preparing myself for architecture, computer programming, writing, and bussiness management(all for alternate routes if game programming fails).I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your life, and ''god'' bless you for spoiling childrens dreams, all of you who may have stated to give up(not meaning those of you who said the facts, such as: not many people make it, and usually they dont get paid alot, but to those of you who said: quit while you are ahead...), more than likely oblivios to the fact that you were doing this, and probably still in the same dumbfounded state of mind...

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
>On a happier note - Spikey, I''m flattered to have someone with >experience - more than me, probably, but then again - agree >with me. Anything else to add, spikey

Thanks!

Again Mr. Drizzt,

I don''t want to offend you. But you are asking for it.
We don''t kill dreams of kids.
We tell our experience.

So that''s it.
Okay. This is thick. He says that I kill the dreams of kids. Umm...no. I tell the unfettered truth, but I do not actively try to discourage those THAT ARE TRULY INTERESTED in the field. And why the bloody hell should I encourage people to work in this field? The pay is bad, the hours worse, but I love it. I wouldn't wish it on a soul, personally, unless it's something they honestly want to do it. And you're deluding yourself if you think that 11-year-olds, at least the ones that pay more than two minutes of attention to the news, know a good bit about what goes on in the world. That's also about the time I started programming, but that's another topic. Kids KNOW that the economy is in bad shape, and if they play games, they probably get game magazines, too, or read some on the net, and then, they probably know the game sector is in a downturn as well.

And secondly, Drizzt, that is backpedaling from your previous statement. You have been shown the error of your ways, but you simply change your statements after the fact.

You don't get it, do you? Come back with more reasoned, accurate opinions, please/

On a more happy note:

Spikey --

Anytime. At least /SOMEONE/ here understands what I mean - I hope. Drop me a line at edwardropple@gdnmail.net if you feel like it.

Edited by - Edward Ropple on September 10, 2001 5:56:37 PM
http://edropple.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement