Advertisement

Java or C++ first?

Started by November 03, 2001 07:08 PM
41 comments, last by Maiku 22 years, 10 months ago
Sense you mentioned that your only language was HTML, you may be looking for web based programs or little applets. If this is your intent, I recommend java over c++. If your interseted in the concept of programming not just web apps, I think c++ is better to start with. Java makes life really easy by handling all the memory for you, but c++ is more powerful and considered the be the language to program on (note to others:i know c is just as good, but i like c++, and asm is way to annoying to begin with) The biggest hurtile won''t be the language you choose, the biggest hurtile you''ll face is thinking like a programmer, HTML is not a real language, it simply defines the way something looks, not how the user interacts with it, the browser handles that for you. If you can attend a course, if your still in school (some high schools offer programming classes, not sure how many, but all the ones in my area do) if not see about having a friend teach you. Oh and i do recommend Pascal as a first language (you can get a free dos complier from borland if you look hard enough) or QBasic (as if you can find a compiler for that anymore ) both allow you to get to programming without alot of syntax or annoying rules to follow. Have fun and browse the web and your libary. We all need more programmers in the world, the market is pretty open right now.
-Scott
I suggest you start reading about C and then take a programming design course in college. Then move into C++ then take another course on how develop for object orientated programming design.
Learning language syntax and style is most important in beginning of your programming carreer. Later the focus will move towards design methodologies and thinking in High Level Abtracts.

So
1. Pick a Language
- C probably the best language you could use to learning higher
- level functions, but has better interface to work with the
- hardware. Basically for programming computer graphics and
- sound.
- It also has a good interface to learning API functions for
- computer graphics and sound. API is just a fancy acornym for
- Application Programming Interface, it is a high level concept
- to dealing with low level hardware programming issues.

2. Learn the syntax and style of your language of choice
3. Learn how to design using your programming language of choice
4. Read more stuff about programming
5. Consider going to a programming college
6. Read more stuff about programming
7. Visit internet sites that have programming tutorial about programming.
8. Read more stuff about programming
9. If your still stuck then go back to 4

Edited by - black marq on November 4, 2001 10:21:59 AM
Advertisement
Learn C or Pascal first. First thing, if you are new to programming, is to learn how to program, and for that purpose, the simpler the language the better. Many people talk about pointers, but learning to be able to track memory allocation is a big step towards creating a nicely structured programs. A program is not just a series of instructions or amalgamation of objects. Program is a representation of your idea on how to sold a particular (type of) problem. It needs to be structured, and requires design. Programming is a process of translating your idea into design and finally into software. Java hides too much from the programmer which I feel is not a good thing for a newby. C++ is too complicated. In order to use either Java or C++ effectively, you will need good understanding of object oriented paradigm. The understanding does not come from reading few books, but experience in writing many applications, and then learing from mistakes you make. Try to write a small program using C, then try to continuously modify it and expand it. See where it breaks and why it breaks. Then think how it can be improved. Most cases, a better design will solve your problem. However, in order to translate the design into software, some assistance from the labguage and compiler may make your life easier. It is then you should look into object oriented paradigm, and C++.
C++C++C++C++C++C++C
For games anyway.
To say that C is simpler is not completely true.
C++ is more complex but much easier to read, better design etc.

[edit remove all the damn C++.... because it messed up the thread]

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on November 4, 2001 9:41:31 PM
I would choose C++.

I have a fairly good knowledge of both languages, but I think C++ would be better for a beginner, that is where I started.

The only real thing that Java has over C++ is that it can make real neat applets for display on a webpage (i.e. Pacman - favorite one I made). You can do it with C++ and CGI, but it is a tad more complex.

Java is essentially C++, but with a few extraneous things omitted. If you learn C++, Java would be real easy to switch to.

For programming games you can use both because I know there is an OpenGL SDK for both of them. But, more people use C++ than Java. It is essentially the industry standard.

Java isn''t necessarily slower than C++, some people say it is, but for a beginners purpose it isn''t.

If you had to do some major number crunching real time computational fluid dynamics physics simulation of oil traveling through a convergent-divergent nozzle C++ probably would probably have an edge.

The main thing a beginner has to do is LEARN how to program, regardless of the language. Once you learn how to program you can program in any language (things like x86 Assembly take a little more in-depth knowledge and discipline though).

Good luck!
quote: Original post by Viscous-Flow

The only real thing that Java has over C++ is that it can make real neat applets for display on a webpage (i.e. Pacman - favorite one I made).

<brando>The ignorance...the ignorance</brando>
quote:
You can do it with C++ and CGI, but it is a tad more complex.

I''d really like to see that. Pacman done with CGI. Did they make Pacman into a turn based game while I was away or something?

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
Doing pacman with CGI would be really evil (click, reload, click, reload, heh). You could probably do it with Internet C++ though. I''m not sure how far the project is along yet, but they''ve been working on it for a really long time (long before they showed up on sourceforge).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
If you''re that new to programming (sorry html doesn''t count in my book), I''d recommend Basic/Visual Basic.

New? Start Here!

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
People seem to forget that you can teach someone C++ without going into classes and pointers 4 days after starting. Both are "advanced" topics, to be tackled after a good understanding of the language is established. So, basically, a new programmer would end up learning basic C, then tacking on things like templates, classes, pointers, etc. Then, after a few months of programming with classes, the new programmer begins to see how objects fit together, and really start being C++ programmers.

Java, from what I have seen, forces classes on you from the first line you write. Besides which, its a scripting language (anything with a VM is a scripting language in my book =).

As to arguments about programming style, you can teach correct style in any programming language that has comments.

And, about console applications... whats wrong with them? Console apps are fun!

Z.
______________"Evil is Loud"
I cant believe this all these wimps using these wimpy languages.
saying c++ is "complex" or hard to learn. well it is a waste of time to learn. it doesnt give you the control you need for what you are talking about making.

I say assembly is the only way to go for anything. all thatother stuff might help you get a few things done faster, but if it is like most programs, the running speed is what counts. not the development speed.

The point is for true "newbie quality" software, you have to know exactly what 0''s and 1''s are going in and out of that processor. Else you are just a End User of someone who knows assembly. leave that "low level"(i cant believe its called that) programming to the good men who develop office productivity software. that way office workers wont have any extra macro seconds to think about what there name is going to be two seconds from a second ago.

Actually, i don''t know assembly language. I''m a loser with nothing better to do than write this because i already finished coding my game and i''m waithing for it to load. I used c++ so i dont know whats really going on in my comp or how long it will take.

oh..... its ready!!!!!!!

it says "hello world!"

now im gonna learn to make my own text strings that can be displayed in place of hello world.

thank you for reading this far. Actualy, im a c++ programmer and i think its a great language, but i started with qbasic.

it was easy, but i guess the only motivation it gave me was(definitely not cool graphics) that learned it so quickly and understod everything about it and my classmates where all confused and i felt smart.

nowi really have to pee!! bye.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement