🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Virus

Started by
10 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 9 years, 4 months ago

Hello, (i know mods will relocate this)

This question is definitely not for here... but it doesn't fit anywhere else. This reoccurs once in a while and initially I ignored (as with the last few times), but this time i thought i should ask anyway.

Occasionally, Avast detects virus when i'm on this website. I suppose the system here scans imported files

So is Avast playing tricks on me (or misinterpreting scripts) and i should continue to ignore the warning? Does anyone else get virus warning on here?

Advertisement

Yeah, Windows Defender has shut down a couple of browsing sessions on this site for me too. It's always some external JavaScript or similar (do iframes still exist?).

Edit: Checked the AV logs, HTML/Fiexp.H and JS/Fiexp.C were found on the watched content page.

Moving to CSI.

Got the exact same problem.

I thought one of the senior staffs/Moderators should have explained things, clear the air or indicate to look into this by now.

There are most likely exploits in the forum platform that is abused by remote attackers to plant these for short intervals. Sometimes issues like these come from shady advertisement services (or from legit services that get hacked). Seems to be very rare so very hard to do something about it.

I thought one of the senior staffs/Moderators should have explained things, clear the air or indicate to look into this by now.

Sorry for the delay, my wife just had our second baby, so I'm still getting a new schedule established!

DvDmanDT is correct: these problems usually slip in through the ad networks. We try to stick to reliable networks so to minimise these sort of problems, and if such a problem is reported with enough details for us to do so we also block individual ads or ad providers for our end. Because the ads are constantly rotated and come from a number of sources these problems are normally very sporadic, so simply reloading the page will usually get you a different ad without the problem.

As long as you've got up-to-date virus and malware protection there shouldn't be any danger in visiting our site.

Please do report these sort of warnings if you get any though and we'll deal with them as best we can. To be able to do anything we need to know the url you were accessing, the specific warning you received, and (if the page was allowed to load) what ads were currently being displayed.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Sorry for the delay, my wife just had our second baby,

Congratulations jbadams!!!

We in the moderation group don't have much we can do about it. We're just long-time members. We get some some extra buttons to move comments around, lock threads, hide duplicate posts, deal with spam, that sort of thing. Other than that we see the same thing you do.

When it comes to this type of attack the moderators are in the same boat, we see our own AV alerts go off occasionally as well.

We tend to try to hunt down the exploit they are using, when it happened in the past they tended to be from targeted ads. We generally hunt down all the details we can and log it in this forum of the site so the staff can address it. We can also send an email to the staff if something is urgent but are still basically at the mercy of real life schedules.

Please do report these sort of warnings if you get any though and we'll deal with them as best we can. To be able to do anything we need to know the url you were accessing, the specific warning you received, and (if the page was allowed to load) what ads were currently being displayed.

We tend to try to hunt down the exploit they are using, when it happened in the past they tended to be from targeted ads. We generally hunt down all the details we can and log it in this forum of the site so the staff can address it. We can also send an email to the staff if something is urgent but are still basically at the mercy of real life schedules.

Yet more!!

I hope i'm not sounding like an alarmist but i am posting this Just in case the urls below will help hunt down the source of the virus attack

I love this place, this forum's interactions and resource is invaluable, but if part of the of the times that people visit here there is a virus alert, the reputation and "brand" of this place gets damaged

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement