🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Disable Replies From Folks With Very Low Scores

Started by
19 comments, last by ericrrichards22 8 years, 11 months ago
Advertisement

Please let's not drag drama from elsewhere into any otherwise unrelated thread, thanks. I've cleaned up the offending posts.

I am, incidentally, curious as to why we currently display negative reputation?

In the old site, we capped it at zero (either as a display thing or physically). Is this just one of those "it's difficult to make the forum software do it" issues?

In some instances, it helps to see who is not acting within decent forum expectations. Granted, we start at 100, so you have 100 points to lose before you reach 0, but it is still possible to reach 0 while helping the community with appropriately voting down certain posts.

I don't think it's any more indicative to see somebody at -100 than 0. Rating is a generally crude metric anyway, and there are better ways to see how helpful (or not) a given user is. Visible negative ratings just seem to encourage public shaming and/or witch hunting more than anything else.

Anecdotally I have seen far more drama regarding very-negative-rated users recently (whose behavior in aggregate isn't even that bad compared to some users in the sites past), and I'm not sure I agree with a system that stimulates so much, well, negativity in our community.

I don't think it's any more indicative to see somebody at -100 than 0. Rating is a generally crude metric anyway, and there are better ways to see how helpful (or not) a given user is. Visible negative ratings just seem to encourage public shaming and/or witch hunting more than anything else.

Anecdotally I have seen far more drama regarding very-negative-rated users recently (whose behavior in aggregate isn't even that bad compared to some users in the sites past), and I'm not sure I agree with a system that stimulates so much, well, negativity in our community.

I do agree there has been a fair amount of public shaming/witch hunting lately. Perhaps capping a negative to a smaller amount would suffice more? Easier to dig yourself out of a hole when you realize your negative actions?

If you remove a user's ability to post in most threads you may as well ban him... I'm not a huge fan of those kinds of elaborate schemes, especially since almost all (all?) very-negative-rep users are just trolls with no desire to better the site, and who exist only to create problems for others (whatever their problem is, they are unable to function properly on the forum) so they'll just create a new account once they realize they're locked out, or they're upvote-spam everything to "improve" their reputation, and so on... just temp-ban, perm-ban the problem users and be done with it.

Hiding negative rep seems like a good idea though. I agree it tends to generate a lot of negativity from both the member in question and the rest of the community.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement