🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ad Blocker Notification

Started by
27 comments, last by swiftcoder 7 years, 10 months ago

Was there a recent change to this functionality though (the popup in general)?

See http://www.gamedev.net/blog/2223/entry-2262126-ad-blocking-and-gamedevnet/.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

After a bit of thought -- I don't think I'd mind much if the only ads I saw (as a GDNet+ subscriber) were the GDNet+ ads.

Currently, I'm seeing ads for sunglasses, some online game with the typical "let's show a pretty woman in different outfits and hope people click it and play our game", some sort of nail product targetted at women, etc.

There's also several normal game ads in rotation (which are more relevant, granted), but there seems to be more than just normal game development things going on.

Hello to all my stalkers.

However, if GDNet+ subscribers block ads, then they diminish the value of the GDNet+ subscription for others because GDNet+ generated ads are now competing in a larger ad pool (with ad networks and others).

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. I'm guessing what you're saying is that someone that is subscribed to GDNet+ is the target group of those that provide ads, be it some 3rd party or another GDNet+ subscriber. If someone from that group blocks ads, more value is lost so to say.

First of all, that is not necessarily true. An ad might want to target people that want to get into game development but aren't yet, e.g. when advertising a beginner game development course. Arguably, the GDNet+ group is already into game development and thus less likely to click such an add.
Secondly, I'm not comfortable with the idea that I'm paying to become more targeted. Technically I'm just as targeted as anyone else, but in your reasoning I've become that guy that you 'know' is of more value to someone else, so therefor can not let off with not showing that popup even though that guy supports the site more than an ad clicker.

I've used GDNet in the past without blocking ads, but after seeing some horrible ads that increase load times, track your shit and even link to malware sites I'm probably not going back to that. I don't mind ads by other GDNet+ members as these are controlled and limited to images, I more then welcome those, just keep the rest away from me.

Currently, I'm seeing ads for sunglasses,...

I'll check that.

Admin for GameDev.net.

However, if GDNet+ subscribers block ads, then they diminish the value of the GDNet+ subscription for others because GDNet+ generated ads are now competing in a larger ad pool (with ad networks and others).

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. I'm guessing what you're saying is that someone that is subscribed to GDNet+ is the target group of those that provide ads, be it some 3rd party or another GDNet+ subscriber. If someone from that group blocks ads, more value is lost so to say.

First of all, that is not necessarily true. An ad might want to target people that want to get into game development but aren't yet, e.g. when advertising a beginner game development course. Arguably, the GDNet+ group is already into game development and thus less likely to click such an add.
Secondly, I'm not comfortable with the idea that I'm paying to become more targeted. Technically I'm just as targeted as anyone else, but in your reasoning I've become that guy that you 'know' is of more value to someone else, so therefor can not let off with not showing that popup even though that guy supports the site more than an ad clicker.

I've used GDNet in the past without blocking ads, but after seeing some horrible ads that increase load times, track your shit and even link to malware sites I'm probably not going back to that. I don't mind ads by other GDNet+ members as these are controlled and limited to images, I more then welcome those, just keep the rest away from me.

I can understand the perspective that GDNet+ makes you more targeted and that it may appear we intend to use GDNet+ as a more targeted audience, but that is not our intent nor is it the plan. GDNet+ has no influence on advertising other than a determination of what level of advertisements GDNet+ subscribers should be subjected to - ideally as little as possible, which is the intent.

While GDNet+ is a show of support in exchange for small benefits (or just consider it a massive discount for banner ads), as I've said several times now, we can't completely eliminate advertising to GDNet+ at current rates and services (it would require a 4-5x price increase and probably a new 'ad-free' tier). But what we can do is try to show ads to GDNet+ that are more relevant to game development and tech vs. an Amazon ad trying to get you to buy the last 10 items you looked at.

If this isn't enough, then let me make the case we shouldn't have to make. In recent weeks ad blockers have been known to block perfectly valid content on GameDev.net, including images the ad blocker claimed was an ad because the image linked to elsewhere or in some cases an external link was next to the image. Even if you don't believe in the economics behind ads for all users, this alone is reason enough to justify requesting that our users stop using ad blockers.

Ideally we have no ads. I'd love to make that happen. Maybe one day, but not right now.

Either way, we hear the concerns and will find solutions. We deeply appreciate the GDNet+ subscribers and will continue to ensure that GDNet+ subscribers receive the best possible treatment and services in balance with the full community.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I do understand the need for ads and I'm curious to the effectiveness of this change. I may have come off as feeling entitled to an ad-free GDNet, I don't :P. Keep doing whatever is required to keep GDNet up and running.

But what we can do is try to show ads to GDNet+ that are more relevant to game development and tech vs. an Amazon ad trying to get you to buy the last 10 items you looked at.

That would be a great improvement.

I think I speak on behalf of all of us when I say we appreciate all the hard work you've put into GDNet.

I'm curious to the effectiveness of this change

I'm monitoring this closely. Probably look at several major data points and compare with historicals every hour.

I can't share all the information and it's very early so a trend hasn't been established, but early indications are that the change has led to a huge improvement (30%+) in all critical stats and in line with expectations based on the data that led to this decision.

Doesn't mean it's perfect either because we need to make sure we aren't damaging GDNet+ or other aspects of the site, but but it's a step in the right direction. :)

Admin for GameDev.net.

Is it possible to get rid of animated ads? Static ads don't bother me so much, but I find it irritating trying to read while an ad is constantly flashing in my face.

Is it possible to get rid of animated ads? Static ads don't bother me so much, but I find it irritating trying to read while an ad is constantly flashing in my face.

That's a little more difficult, but we can try to keep very distracting animation ads from appearing.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I've whitelisted GameDev since the thing started hassling me about it and the site experience is absolutely fine for me with ads enabled. So a good call - I forget I even have AdBlock running after a while but I'm more than happy to enable ads on sites that don't then get annoying with it, which so far GDNet as certainly not at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement