🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ad Blocker Notification

Started by
27 comments, last by swiftcoder 7 years, 10 months ago

The popup is a pain in the neck. Fine display it when first visit the site or say login but every page that I open during a session, really?

I will not disable my ad-block as I use it for a number of reasons including saving bandwidth and security as ad-brokers have been hacked in the past to serve up payloads even on very high profile sites.

Advertisement

I will not disable my ad-block as I use it for a number of reasons including saving bandwidth and security as ad-brokers have been hacked in the past to serve up payloads even on very high profile sites.

QFE

Attempts to coerce folks into viewing ads don't work. All this change resulted in was my spending a couple of minutes looking through the page source to find out how to add manual adblock filters for the popup.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I'll check that.

Still getting the toe nail beauty product ad (looping video). Product or producer was Scholl, I believe.

Located on the right, above "Getting Started" section in the For Beginners forum.

Edit: And some random hotel ads.

Both of these are country/language specific ads, not normal English ones.

Hello to all my stalkers.

The popup is a pain in the neck. Fine display it when first visit the site or say login but every page that I open during a session, really?

I, on the other hand, have whitelisted the site, but right now it's probably a 50/50 toss-up between which is more annoying and intrusive: the nagging pop-up or the adverts.

Either way it's definitely impacted my usage of the site. Which is a pity.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I'll check that.

Still getting the toe nail beauty product ad (looping video). Product or producer was Scholl, I believe.

Located on the right, above "Getting Started" section in the For Beginners forum.

Edit: And some random hotel ads.

Both of these are country/language specific ads, not normal English ones.

Being Google and Amazon ads, they should be mostly targeted to your web traffic behavior. Having said that, we still do a weekly ad review, so maybe we need to block a few of these for being too unrelated.

Admin for GameDev.net.

I, on the other hand, have whitelisted the site, but right now it's probably a 50/50 toss-up between which is more annoying and intrusive: the nagging pop-up or the adverts.

Either way it's definitely impacted my usage of the site. Which is a pity.

That is a shame. Understandable, but a shame.

We're looking at other ways to bring up the notification, but with our highly technical community we need everyone to be aware that ad blocking GameDev.net is doing nothing but harming the GameDev.net platform and community. Financially, it not only hurts GameDev.net's ability to pay for itself, but it also hurts our ability to have the direct, game development related ads everyone thinks we should be showing because, rightfully, advertisers are not interested in having their ads blocked.

The ads can certainly be annoying at times, but we're completely open to blocking ads that really need to go. We just need screenshots for them.

Anyway we're looking for solutions to the problem. These solutions won't come right away, but we're taking this very seriously.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Anyway we're looking for solutions to the problem. These solutions won't come right away, but we're taking this very seriously.

Can I suggest that we look at implementing AdBlock Plus' "Acceptable Ads" (which AdBlock Plus does not block by default)?

https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Can I suggest that we look at implementing AdBlock Plus' "Acceptable Ads" (which AdBlock Plus does not block by default)?

https://adblockplus.org/acceptable-ads

I'll submit GameDev.net to the program, but they have criteria that I know we're not going to comply with, nor are we going to change the site to comply with it because their criteria hurt our ability to generate revenue for the bills.

But we'll see what happens. There are better solutions than complying with that initiative. Keep in mind, AdBlock Plus isn't a knight in shining armor - they are in the game to make money like everyone else.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Keep in mind, AdBlock Plus isn't a knight in shining armor - they are in the game to make money like everyone else.

Eyeo? Yeah, I'm sure they make a bundle off the sustainable ad program.

But AdBlock itself is just a GPL browser plugin, with community-maintained filter lists under the creative commons. Hard to see how those folks are making much of a living off any of that.

That aside, though, it's only a matter of time till the 2 lines of Gamedev-specific filtering rules show up in an adblock subscription, and then it's game over.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement