🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GDNet+ - early access to in-development theme

Started by
24 comments, last by wintertime 7 years, 4 months ago

1. Framework changes (done) 2. Navbar (done, with minor tweaks remaining) 3. Global template (done) 4. Frontpage layout and related blocks (done) 5. *New site feature* (done) 6. Article section a. Categories browsing (in progress) b. Article page c. Article submission form (tbd) 7. Forums 8. Dev Journals 9. Member list 10. Classifieds 11. Miscellaneous

1. Framework changes (done)

2. Navbar (done, with minor tweaks remaining)

3. Global template (done)

4. Frontpage layout and related blocks (done)

5. *New site feature* (done)

6. Article section

a. Categories browsing (done)

b. Article page (in progress)

c. Article submission form (tbd)

7. Forums

8. Dev Journals

9. Member list

10. Classifieds

11. Miscellaneous

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
  6. Article section
    1. Categories browsing (done)
    2. Article page (done)
    3. Article submission form (on hold, low priority)
  7. Forums
    1. /forums (in progress)
    2. Forum view
    3. Topic view
  8. Dev Journals
  9. Member list
  10. Classifieds
  11. Miscellaneous

Admin for GameDev.net.

6. Article section
    2. Article page (done)
  7. Forums
    1. /forums (done)
    2. Forum view (done)
    3. Topic view (done, small tweaks later)
  8. Dev Journals -> Blogs
    1. /blogs (in progress)
    2. Blog view
    3. Blog post view
  9. Member list
  10. Classifieds
  11. Miscellaneous

Admin for GameDev.net.

This might be under Miscellaneous, but:

1) The report page looks wonky. Buttons aren't aligned with their blue banner background.

2) When viewing a member's profile, the "Report this member" button/text is almost invisible (white, not in a button).

Additionally, for the forum listings:

When hovering the "Forums" drop-down and Ctrl+Clicking a forum to open it in a new tab, the forum drop-down closes. It used to not do this in the old theme (and it doesn't if you middle click to open in new tab). Would prefer this to be as it used to.

Like slicer, I'm not liking the left-side padding.

Reputation is no longer listed unless I click my own profile icon to expand the drop-down :(

Actually, this drop-down works differently that the other drop-downs, which open on mouseOver instead of mouseClick.

Hello to all my stalkers.

2) When viewing a member's profile, the "Report this member" button/text is almost invisible (white, not in a button).

I had to do a select all to see it. I hadn't even known it was there until you mentioned it.

Additionally on the profile page, the "add me as a contact" button had a blue font while the other buttons have a white font. And what's up with the label names under the rep score? Release candidate, 1.0, Alpha, Beta... ?

Like slicer, I'm not liking the left-side padding.

I'm really not liking it either. Half the page is blank space.

Also not liking the line spacing when adding a linebreak to text. It's different (larger) than when text just wraps, and it makes everything very spacious and non-consistent.

Would personally prefer if linebreaks didn't add any additional height compared to just text wrapping onto a new line.

Forum drop-down list seems to contain an empty listing:

Forums --> Technical

Between "Mobile Development" and "Build Systems & Source Control", there is a larger vertical gap between the text than other listings.

Hovering it also seems to indicate that this empty area links to Build Systems & Source Control sub-forum.

6. Article section
    2. Article page (done)
  7. Forums
    1. /forums (done)
    2. Forum view (done)
    3. Topic view (done, small tweaks later)
  8. Dev Journals -> Blogs
    1. /blogs (done)
    2. Blog view (done, small tweaks later)
    3. Blog post view (done)
  9. Member list (in progress)
  10. Classifieds (on hold)
  11. Miscellaneous
    1. Profile page bugs

1) The report page looks wonky. Buttons aren't aligned with their blue banner background.

Miscellaneous.

2) When viewing a member's profile, the "Report this member" button/text is almost invisible (white, not in a button)

Miscellaneous (profile bugs)

When hovering the "Forums" drop-down and Ctrl+Clicking a forum to open it in a new tab, the forum drop-down closes.

Couldn't duplicate.

open on mouseOver instead of mouseClick.

Not finalized.

Reputation is no longer listed unless I click my own profile icon to expand the drop-down

Probably staying this way in the interest of a clean header.

Additionally on the profile page, the "add me as a contact" button had a blue font while the other buttons have a white font.

Fixed (mostly).

And what's up with the label names under the rep score? Release candidate, 1.0, Alpha, Beta... ?

These have been there for a while. Reputation levels.

Also not liking the line spacing when adding a linebreak to text.

This is a side effect of framework changes and listed as a bug. Due to the hackery in the current software.

Forum drop-down list seems to contain an empty listing:

Fixed.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Couldn't duplicate.

Still happens.

Additional info:

The sub-forum still opens when Ctrl+Clicked (correctly), but the drop-down box closes (new behaviour). This means that to open multiple sub-forums, you need to repeatedly go to the drop-down box. Contrast this to the old behaviour, where you could just hover over the drop-down and Ctrl+Click all the sub-forums you wanted to visit, and the drop-down didn't close until the mouse cursor left the opened drop-down box.

Chrome, Windows 10.

---

Probably under misc, but the rep changes notification popup is a bit ugly with the current color choices.

Am I right in that you activated the new page layout for everyone a few minutes ago?
It felt like the useability on mobile suddenly dropped.
The text inside the postings got only about 50% of the tiny available screen width, before it was maybe 75%.
Holding the phone the other way around there would be nearly no space when the on screen keyboard is open, as the top bar is always floating there.
I think, thats because its supposed to be the replacement for the missing navigation links at top and bottom, but opening and navigating the menu takes a number of taps where the link took one and this is necessary to do pretty often.
The forum index looks pretty squeezed too, not sure if its because some parts had been invisible before or below each other.
Btw., there is not much space in the part for typing the posting in and scrolling it without scrolling the whole page too is difficult.
I thought I'd tell you while you are still working on it. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement