🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GDNet+ - early access to in-development theme

Started by
24 comments, last by wintertime 7 years, 4 months ago

I thought I'd tell you while you are still working on it. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed it's gone live with the new homepage.

I've been testing on a few mobile devices - mind if I ask what are you using? I don't seem to be seeing what you've described, so maybe my testing isn't broad enough.

Having said that, I've been going back and forth on the breadcrumbs (the top/bottom nav links). Perhaps I can find a way to fit them back in. I took them out on mobile because they cluttered things up.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
So, if GD.Net was a game I would be hitting the 'refund' button right about now.

I run a 34" ultrawide monitor - my Edge window doesn't take up the whole screen and is sized to be comfortable when viewing websites.

Most websites flows to a decent size, ones with forums pretty much without fail take up the majority of the window space...

GD.Net... well... 50% of the window space is content, of that 1/4 is 'ads and other shite' on the right leaving 3/4 for content (some of which is lost with gutters and other terrible stuff).

To recap;
Monitor - 3400*1440
Edge - 2345*1262
GD.Net 'content' - 1169*1182
GD.Net sans right bar - 827*1182
GD.Net post content - 730*1182

730 pixels of 2345 is 'useful'.

That is 31% of my (non-full screen) browser window.
Or 21% of my whole monitor's horizontal resolution.

Information is now cramp and compacted in the centre of the screen rendering it annoying to read and parse.

If a game pulled this kind of 'lulz fuck your screen res' bullshit it would be refunded instantly (Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky suffered that fate within 3 minutes) so at this point I can only conclude that you no longer want people to be able to use the site using anything bigger than a 1024*768 monitor from the early-2000s....

Content is cut-off on my Samsung Galaxy S3 :<, lots of width is wasted on margin + padding. Content of posts and comment take up about 40% of the width, 25% is used for profile pictures, rest is margin-padding. The lack of Latest Content link on mobile makes it impractical to use GDNet on mobile other that the homepage.

Homepage looks slick, but I feel the margin and padding of almost everything (homepage and forums) is larger than it needs to be.

Addressed margins and latest content link on mobile.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Much better now! Quote headers and body seem to be separated by some vertical white space now? p.citation should probably have margin[-bottom]: 0.

I thought I'd tell you while you are still working on it. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed it's gone live with the new homepage.

I've been testing on a few mobile devices - mind if I ask what are you using? I don't seem to be seeing what you've described, so maybe my testing isn't broad enough.

Having said that, I've been going back and forth on the breadcrumbs (the top/bottom nav links). Perhaps I can find a way to fit them back in. I took them out on mobile because they cluttered things up.

Its a Samsung Galaxy A5-6, screen is in full HD res and I used the "Internet" Browser from Samsung.

It is looking a somewhat better now without the unused gray space at the sides, thank you for that. The strangely formatted index of the whole forum is still there though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement