🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Developer looking for projects

Started by
5 comments, last by jamespetts 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm a front end web developer trying to get into game development and I was hoping that someone has a project they would like some assistance on.  I've mostly done tutorials in Unity and made a couple games, roll-a-ball, space shooter, but would like to get more experience.  If anyone is willing to give me a chance, please reply to this message or shoot me an email at robbyt15@bmail.com.

Advertisement

Do you know, or have you any interest in learning, C++? If so, and if you are interested in working on a hobby project to get experience, you would be very welcome to help with a hobby project on which I work, Simutrans-Extended (a fork of the long-standing open source transport simulator, Simutrans).

Let me know if you may be interested, and I can give you more details of the project and the things that you could do (outstanding projects range from the straightforward to the quite involved and help would be welcome on any of them).

Hey James, I don't actually have any experience in C++, but it's definitely a language I'm interested in learning and I'm certainly interested in helping out with a hobby project.  Anything that allows me to get some experience and possibly get into the industry.

Hello - sorry for the delay in the reply: I had expected to receive an e-mail notification when somebody replied, but this seems not to have happened, and I did not check this until now.

If you are interested in working on Simutrans-Extended, may I suggest that you first of all join the International Simutrans Forum where discussion and documentation relating to the game takes place and is stored. The forum is both for the original Simutrans and the fork on which I work, Simutrans-Extended: there are specific sections for Simutrans-Extended.

If you are new to C++, you will probably want to work on one of the more straightforward projects. A list of projects can be found here and a list of high level design goals can be found here.

The best thing to do would be (1) to register on the forum; (2) to download the game and get a feel for playing it; (3) get and compile the sources so that you can see what the innards look like; and (4) pick and start working on your preferred project (or alternatively an idea of your own, although I recommend discussing that on the forum first) and start work. I and some other developers will be able to help you if you have any queries.

Thank you for your interest in Simutrans-Extended - there is much fun to be had developing this.

Hey James,

Thanks for those links.  I'll get registered on the forum and take a look at some projects and see what I can do.  Thank you.

Splendid! I shall look forward to welcoming you there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement