🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[Artist/Designer] Metroidvania inspired by Beksiński and Hollow Knight

Started by
0 comments, last by NA-45 6 years, 11 months ago

EDIT: We've found a designer/composer and an artist.  I'm looking for one more artist!

I'm currently working on Metroidvania style game that I was inspired to start by Hollow Knight and Beksiński's art.

597633feca26c_003-j1u27.thumb.jpg.e19110626a656f70d7b55109b3efbb11.jpg597634469d60e_006-QzaXc.thumb.jpg.cd03c021b68d0e187e5783d37f127062.jpg5976348406375_041-xP1yr.thumb.jpg.8d1b1fa52031f6bec74bab99b0abc0d4.jpg

It's built in Unity using C# and has quite a bit done already.  I'm handling the programming myself and have a working model (besides combat which is a WIP) that can be expanded greatly depending on where we decide to take the project.  You can see the current test area here: https://streamable.com/mp5o8  Since I'm not artistically gifted, its all rectangles but can easily be skinned once we've desired on designs.

I have professional experience using Unity and C# working on both a released game and a prototype as well as having extensive Java knowledge.  I also dabble in Python with a little bit of C++.

I have worked on and completed many projects before, the most recent being a 2D stick fighting game written ground up in Java Swing (don't ask why):

" rel="external nofollow">

I'm looking for a 2D artist (potentially more than one) to create concept and game art and a designer/writer who can help flesh out the story as well as map out and create challenging and eye catching areas.  I can handle most if not all of the programming side of things though if there is anyone who is extremely passionate about this sort of thing, I'd consider splitting the load.

The end goal is a completed game that can be sold however profit isn't really a concern to me as it's mostly a labor of love from my part.  Any profits would be split between team members however that's pretty far off so don't make that a reason to join.

The story I have in mind is something like this:
A man wakes up in a chasm that stretches seemingly endlessly in both directions lined with enormous statues.

597633a8e7643_033-VBP7A.thumb.jpg.85d4e42e0cb0811c37ffbd1c3fdf5390.jpg

He discovers a temple with text above a closed gate that tells of the failed kingdom that lies below.  After finding a way around this, he drops down into the subterranean kingdom.  Adventuring through the labrynth below, he comes across different cities in which the residents succumbed to different sins such as Greed, Wrath, etc.  Each city tells a story of how its fixation on something lead to their demise leading up to a fight with the personification of their mistake.

An very rough idea for Waterways, a potential area:

- To enter you must be wearing a pair of glasses that you find somewhere earlier in the ruins.  There are similar glasses found in every home.  Everything appears incredibly beautiful however something seems wrong.  After triggering some event, the glasses break and it's revealed that the glasses are made of some sort of stone that makes everything appear differently.  The city is in ruins and absolutely disgusting as everything was neglected.  

- The only thing that remains intact is in the center of the city, an incredible statue of a goddess holding up a large sphere of the same material that was used for the glass.  You slowly learn the story behind the statue: the goddess came from the sea that the city lies on and brought prosperity to them.  

- After opening up the the temple of the goddess that lies right on the edge of the waters, a giant sheet of the glass covers an opening in the back of the temple that reveals the goddess behind it.  You shatter the glass and it becomes apparent that the goddess is actually a disgusting creature half beached and mostly immobile that appears to secrete the material that makes up the glass. Fight ensues.

The combat is pretty up in the air and part of the reason I need a designer to bounce ideas off of but I think it will be something like this:

- 4 orbs equipped at a time

- 2 orbs selected at a time

- Pressing the cast button will cast a spell determined by the 2 orbs that are selected

- Spells cost mana however you can use spells with 0 mana and it will cost health instead

- These spells in addition to being useful for combat, are the Metroidvania "gating" metchanic.  For instance, one of the conceptualized spells is a water orb + water orb to create a ice pillar that can be either used to block projectiles/enemy paths or to jump on to reach high areas

If you're interested or have any questions, contact me through discord.  My id is NA-45#3692. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement