🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

build Navigation network graph from octree

Started by
3 comments, last by CanisTk 6 years, 8 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to learning AI pathfinding, although R&D for 3 month... so here is the problem that I had, hope there are someone can give me some advice.

I was trying to develop my Flight Agent in 3D space. and store all the obstacles reference into octree.

so I got the space & obstacle distribution represent in octree already, however I wanted to implement

1) Navigation network graph region (to define the space in region)

2) HPA* , to implement the high level path finding based on simplify network graph

the major issue : 

I know how to collect all remain space from octree node, but I didn't know how to segment the space, and build up a network graph based on it.

Advertisement

Just traverse the octree from the root down to the leaves. If you traverse through a cell that is not occupied and is a leaf cell, you can create a corresponding AABB that surrounds the node and place it into your graph. Creating edges is just a matter of checking all octree neighbors and seeing which ones have vacant cells.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

thank @ApochPiQ I think I know what you mean, I also found article describe octree like this :

All neighbours of a white node cannot all be white because merging would take place and the node would not exist.

still working on the implementation, wish me luck.

thanks again, @ApochPiQ it work.    

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement