🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trying to implement a basic utility base AI setup in Unity

Started by
3 comments, last by IADaveMark 5 years, 1 month ago
So I am attempting to implement a basic start to a utility based AI in Unity and I have something that seems to be working and wanted to get any impressions people might have about how I have it setup, all the relevant code can be found here that implements a basic AI for moving and being idle:
Advertisement

Haven't looked at your system yet because I don't have time right now, but it DOES remind me that I need to get the C# version of my entire IAUS up on the Unity Asset Store.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

@IADaveMark If you were to put up a C# utility based AI system on the Unity assets store I would probably get it as I am sure it would be infinitely better than anything I will come up with. There are a few solutions I have found on the assets store however they all seem to be either pretty old or highly designed around using the Unity editor to generate the AI (I have a requirement that I need to be able to build the AI at runtime based on json data files).

Well, considering that I am the guy that, for all intents and purposes, spearheaded and popularized utility AI (along with Kevin Dill), and there are game studios around the world trying to implement my IAUS based only on my GDC AI Summit lecture about it (with @ApochPiQ), I imagine it would be well received as THE utility system for Unity (and anything else, for that matter). And no, I don't build it using the editor. It's entirely data-driven externally.

Now that I'm finally getting over almost dying at GDC 14 months ago, maybe I can get some things in order.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement