Proof of the project

Started by
3 comments, last by Tobop 5 years, 1 month ago

Well,hello everyone.I am currently a young beginner programmer,who strives to dig as much information about everything I am interested in.I often google and seek for advices.This post is related to this and I hope someone can clearly answer on question on which I am thinking for days.

So,my question is,where/how/in which way do I keep record of project?Which projects are notibale enough to write the in the list?

I see countless advices to keep records of projects,but it confuses me very much.Sure there are a lot of cunning people who can just sneak some project,to which they have no relations at all.And programmers,their bosses and ect. ,for whom logic is a bread for life, sure are not dumb either.They must have some way to proof that validity of information.

And I think,they don`t need to that themself:those who are seeking for their projects to ckeck up must do it themselfs.

And this logic leads me to the the question above.Than there must be some resource or anything I can post my project with something like signature saying: 'it`s mine,don`t try to steal it,*****!',right?I can create personal site in the future,but again,it`s no proof,I can just smuggle Call Of Duty there and say:'acctualy I did big job there,it`s my baby'.After all,one of the programmers in the team had the same name as me.

I can tell that skills will be tested when I say something,but all people are busy and will not invite an army and than check up their skills.

So,if there is indeed something like site for personal projects,how do I need to give the infromation?I can say something like 'this is my godlike project.Rejoy,mortals!'.Anyone looking in portfolio will just think I am mad because I don`t know some unsaid rules,which say in which way and how I need to explain my project,ect. and be done with me.

And the last question is considering the projects themself.Which projects are worthy of beeing entitled  listed in my portfolio?

Will be very thankful for clear advices!?

P.S.-no english speaker,it`s a foreign language for me,although I understand it almost as my own.That`s why there may be some mistakes above.

Advertisement

The best way to protect your ownership of your code (or anything) is: don't share it. If you are going to share it, all you have to do is put your own copyright on it. "This code is (c) 2019 Maximilian Power" (insert your own name in place of Maximilian Power). Somebody can still steal it, but you can prove ownership of your own code when you take the thief to a court of law. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you're talking about keeping a developer journal, I think this site (gamedev.net) is a good place to do it. It's were I write my journals: 

If you're talking about releasing your game in a playable state - normally you just release the executable. Sure other people can decompile your code, but in general it's more trouble than it's worth. Plus there are plenty of better projects to steal from than a beginner's indie pong clone. :)

From an employer's point of view, I want to see that the programmers I'm hiring have a passion for game development. If they don't have a portfolio showing what they're working on in their free time, I'm less interested in them. During the interview process I'll ask about some of these projects and ask the interviewee about different problems they had to solve. At first - just tell me about the project - and then I get more specific getting the person to talk about how they solved some of the tough problems, etc.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Somewhat off topic: I'm not sure about tax laws in other countries, but where I reside - the tax office wants proof of a sale or the project doesn't exist for tax purposes. 

Hold my coffee. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement