🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Whats the best place to provide your game dev services (Freelance)

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 11 months ago

Hi there i was just wondering if any of you make games as freelancer on upwork , fiverr etc . For me personally i tried upwork and after sending out 30 prposals i got one reply back and that  was for 80$ only for a whole game after that its been really dry and i have noticed that on these sites people tend to bid really low when it becomes useless to bid on the projects because its not even worth it for the money.So is it something i am doing wrong ? or is it just how game dev freelancing is? Also the only place where i find unity 3D jobs are on upwork and as i said its damn slow.

GaySnakey2.png

Advertisement

The tasks you are doing don't match the platforms.  Gig based platforms work reasonably well for actual gigs, a quick once-and-done task.  Design a logo, translate some text, record a few guitar riffs, and similar, they can be done quickly and only need to happen once.

Game development is a long term task. Even small games with simple frameworks seem to have a limit of about 3 months for creating a commercial-grade product. Three months is not once-and-done, but a series of iterations and experimentation with feedback along the way.

Those looking for game development as a gig-based work generally don't understand what is involved.

That isn't to say that programming in general doesn't fit. There are plenty of tools and tasks where a quick job is wonderful. Small utilities and tools can be quick to create, so those tend to thrive on those sites. But game development tends to not fit.

38 minutes ago, frob said:

The tasks you are doing don't match the platforms.  Gig based platforms work reasonably well for actual gigs, a quick once-and-done task.  Design a logo, translate some text, record a few guitar riffs, and similar, they can be done quickly and only need to happen once.

Game development is a long term task. Even small games with simple frameworks seem to have a limit of about 3 months for creating a commercial-grade product. Three months is not once-and-done, but a series of iterations and experimentation with feedback along the way.

Those looking for game development as a gig-based work generally don't understand what is involved.

That isn't to say that programming in general doesn't fit. There are plenty of tools and tasks where a quick job is wonderful. Small utilities and tools can be quick to create, so those tend to thrive on those sites. But game development tends to not fit.

So where would you suggest to provide such services i guess opening your own business site or something maybe but i was looking somewhere i dont have to market and i can just select work i want to do

33 minutes ago, Quin said:

So where would you suggest to provide such services

What services exactly? Turnkey development, everything included (design, programming, graphics, audio)? 

34 minutes ago, Quin said:

i guess opening your own business site

Of course you need a website, at the very least a portfolio site.

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

i was looking somewhere i dont have to market and i can just select work i want to do

That's highly unlikely. The majority of a freelancer's time is spent networking, pitching, marketing. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

2 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

What services exactly? Turnkey development, everything included (design, programming, graphics, audio)? 

Of course you need a website, at the very least a portfolio site.

That's highly unlikely. The majority of a freelancer's time is spent networking, pitching, marketing. 

Yeah a whole game with sounds and everything and for portfolio for now i was trying to use instagram but i will make a proper one soon!

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Yeah a whole game with sounds and everything and

You need to pitch yourself as a turnkey developer, then. Use terms producers use (talk their language so they'll see you as a professional). 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement