🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unity Asset -Visual FSM Editor

Started by
3 comments, last by thepigeonfighter 4 years, 8 months ago

So FSMs seem to be a common thing that is needed by game devs but when I looked in the asset store most of the tools I saw either went too far or did not go far enough. On one hand you have tools like bolt, and playmaker that look awesome but are doing too much of the coding behind the scenes(for me at least). Then on the other hand you have a plethora of FSM implementations that have little to no visual side at all. Without having a visual editor to refer back to it seems like designing behaviors could get out of hand really quickly. So I wanted to design a FSM designer that struck a balance between making your life easier and allowing you to still control the code that is going on behind the scenes. I ended up making this asset.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/ai/easy-state-153724

Advertisement

Most people can write an FSM implementation (non-graphical) in about 2 hours. Graphical ones are a bit of overkill since all they are doing is showing the same transition logic between states X and Y that you are putting in your code of state X -- often a line or 2. Therefore this does seem a little much. *shrug*

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Thanks for taking the time to check it out! I think I understand where you are coming from. I guess what happened to me was that when I originally started with 100% code based implementation of an FSM. It quickly became difficult to debug/ keep straight the design in my head. So I naturally stumbled upon needing a graphical solution just to keep track of the design. That may be due to my own lack of competence or some other personal limitation. But either way it prompted me to check out what other solutions people had made. Then one thing led to another.....

Also apologies if this was not correct forum to post this in. Much sorry! So apologize.

81-yKbVND-L._SY355_.png.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement