🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Welcome to the new GameDev.net!

Started by
160 comments, last by khawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Got a notification about my own reply, too.

It appears you automatically follow topics when you start a new one or reply to them, but how do I unfollow? And how do I manually follow?

Editing works on Chrome on Android at least.

I just posted and it says:

Started by khawk with 59 comments
Last by Beosar 2 days, 8 hours ago

Selecting two lines and clicking on the quote button in the editor results in two separate quotes.

Topic titles in my activity do not preserve the original case, instead every first letter of a word is in upper case, the rest is in lower case.

This topic from 11 years ago is in the latest tab in the forum:

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/501752-binary-and-hex/

When I edit this post, quote styling gets removed (Chrome on Android).

Advertisement

Hi all

Thank you for continuing to submit bugs. Changes will keep coming, and I think you'll see pretty fast improvement through this transition.

A request for members with content whose formatting did not convert well: can you post the links or DM me the links to the content with broken formatting?

The formatting is actually handled at runtime for this conversion, purposely to avoid losing quality in tutorials like we've done in the past. So while you might have broken formatting in blog entries or tutorials you've posted, if I can see how it's broken I might be able to fix it programmatically instead of manually modifying the content. Thanks!

Most recent updates:

• Fixed mobile layout in some areas
  • Fixed tutorial queue submission
  • Fixed some backend moderation tools and management
  • Server infrastructure related changes to improve load times and CDN caching

Coming up next:

• More moderation tools improvements (moderators have complaints too)
  • Investigate caching issue with new posts (I have not experienced this problem yet)
  • Unread content marking

Admin for GameDev.net.

I think this works okay, except for the "unread" part. That's the first thing I'd work on if it were me.

Oh, and the donut dispenser!

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

I tried to reply, saying that other than "unread posts" still being on the backlog, and there still not being a donut dispenser, I think I like the new version.

Except, when I post ... I can't see my reply? Wut?

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

I think I see the problem with my blog. On the old site I had two different journals, New Old Things, and New New Things. Seems only one of those two is set to my profile. Means I can't access or edit the other blog entries at all.

Editing in the blog entry works fine now.

Testing editing here. -> Yay, it works!

Undo in the editor is not on Alt-Backspace, could you add that as hot key?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

MrRowl said:

I'm sorry - I feel bad being negative, but this is not a positive change. I'm not a regular poster nowadays (I used to be...) but it seems to be more of the kinds of changes that pushed me away. Comments here relate to the forums:

• Huge waste of "white space" (depending on light/dark theme!). I don't get this - I come here for information and to be able to scan without scrolling etc. For example, just above this edit box there are four "one line/sentence" posts - and that is all that fits on the screen! Similarly for the topic list in a forum. And this from someone whose eyes are failing and can't even generally cope with small text these days!
  • It's slower to load pages/topics (hard to compare - but I don't remember it being as sluggish as this).
  • No read/unread indication. Seems unbelievable this was pushed out without that support.
  • No "page" support for threads/topics. That makes it harder to manage/navigate long threads.
  • No search-in-topic.
  • This editor is buggy (not a significant comment, because bug fixes are easy). Seems weird I could hit a bug (using "*" for bullet points) within 10 seconds of typing, not doing anything weird.

There seems to be a reinvention of the wheel here, and I don't really get it. It distracts from the content - and I think has pulled people like me away from gamedev to other forums which might not look pretty but are much easier to use (e.g. Bullet forums for physics).

Sorry - this is rather negative - but I'm just trying to give you another data point!

Just a comment on the white space issue - in some areas it does feel a lot more empty but in practice the amount of text is pretty much the same.

Here's a before and after on one specific thread:

As you can see, it's more about moving whitespace - we used to waste a lot down the left-hand side, but now we don't. In exchange we now have a little more space between posts (which in some cases seems to be down to forum signatures). The amount of text onscreen is roughly the same. I'm hopeful we'll find a way to reduce any wasted space further, but for now, be reassured that you're broadly getting the same amount of knowledge per pixel as before. :)

As for 'reinventing the wheel', there were a lot of problems with the old software which were impractical to fix, and some things we wanted to extend that were also impractical. Returning to our own system gives us flexibility to do a lot more with the site in future. Another big benefit of this new platform is that we should be a lot less susceptible to the masses of scripted spamming that we get every day when using an off-the-shelf package. Much of my moderation duties are just going through and removing tons of spammers and spam posts every morning that the automated checks can't catch.

My post above will make a lot more sense once the images show up. :) Bear with us as we work through the fixes. It will be worth it!

Not a bug, but a usability suggestion. When I click on a multi-page thread in the forums that I have already read once, I want to go directly to the first post that I haven't already read, or failing that, the last post in the thread (so I can work my way backwards). I don't ever want to go to the first post of the thread.

Actual bug: including the dollar sign in a forum post causes the post to be completely mutilated. And editing posts is still broken, so I can't manually fix the mutilated post.

Hopefully the kinks get worked out.

The whitespace and huge text is not great, I feel like I have to scroll an awful lot - right now, I've only got two posts and five lines of actual content showing on a 1080p screen. Also as I type in this editor, stuff keeps jumping around.

Navigating through the articles (the greatest resource the site had, in my opinion) is rough. Would it be too hard to have a view where it's just a raw list of hyperlinks with all the titles? The big hero images combined with the pagination makes browsing really painful. Also seems like a huge amount of the old content that I remembered being here no longer exists.

I still like the layout from https://archive.gamedev.net/archive/reference/index.html the best

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement