🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

End of the world

Started by
126 comments, last by Calin 4 years, 3 months ago

JoeJ said:
So you think a brain is less complex

I`m not saying the brain is not complex, what I`m saying is that there is no need to understand exactly how the brain works to comprehend what it does/replicate its behavior. It`s like the difference between a Mac and PC. If you understand the inner workings of a PC you can understand what a Mac might do even if you don`t posses any knowledge on how Macs work

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

Green_Baron said:
I also think that this thread is leaving the path of reason.

lol, yeah… but wasn't that clear from the OP already?

Calin said:
`m not saying the brain is not complex, what I`m saying is that there is no need to understand exactly how the brain works to comprehend what it does/replicate its behavior.

Agree. But this does not help. We don't know how intelligence works either - even less. This is one reason why people try to figure out brains and replicate it. Because it intends to make the task of AGI easier, not harder.

JoeJ said:
I don't think a simple genetic algorithm could become intelligent just by luck, even after infinite time. I think it is possible to generate an environment and model of reality so intelligence forms itself as a reaction, but this would require understanding of something like our universe - even more complex than intelligence which is just part of it. This is such a thought that brings me to the asked question.

You overestimate humans a lot. humans don't have infinite intelligence.
Most of humans are eat-sleep-repeat automatas.
The few clever people are not infinitely clever.
Most of the cleverest humans out there were clever only in various fields, not completely general high intelligence. A guy who can tell you 10000 of the digits of PI is not necessarily good at poetry. I have not met or knew of a person good at everything. A person being generally very intelligent.

Yes, we don't understand a lot. But this is not a problem. If you believe Darwin and Green_Baron, our awesome brains happened by pure chance. The most improbable of all lucks created our awesome brains. So why not outsmart the brain by pure luck again? Theoretically it is plausible.

@thebypasser I was extremely sarcastic in my comment.

You overestimate humans a lot. humans don't have infinite intelligence.
Most of humans are eat-sleep-repeat automatas.

No. You overestimate yourself. Even the dumbest human is almost as clever as you are.

https://img.scoop.it/6ui0CT3_GSMH_rJrRVIL6jl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

JoeJ said:
No. You overestimate yourself. Even the dumbest human is almost as clever as you are.

Don't be a bully in school attacking the nerd, please!

https://www.quotemaster.org/images/57/5731983eb51fb0c5affab6a2e7edd385.jpg

There is a lot of study going on about the brain, not limitedt to but including the human. Much is modelled, measured published and discussed, in anatomy, psychology, behavioural science, anthropology, archeology, … too much to count them all.

"Intelligence" can not be defined and has a different meaning for different people. The term also has seen some inflation lately, with companies working on "intelligent" machines. It can mean an automatic windshield wiper (they drive me nuts !), a toothbrush, a chess program, a self-driving car, an automated manufacturing process, whatever. Interestingly, nobody calls for example a mostly autonomous spaceprobe on Mars or around Jupiter "intelligent", though it's software probably does more things automagically than a car or single manufacturing process.

Human “intelligence”, which only is a gradual step from that of other species, is generally understood as the ability for planned actions, cognitive processes, abstract thinking, problem solving (these can be identified by paleo-anthropology and archeology), and additionally softer factors that need more direct observation like learning, language, comprehension and the ability to reason.

I am not sure how much and which part of these actually apply to machines yet without bending the definition in one's favour. Maybe there are publications or texts from those companies, describing what they mean with “intelligent” ? Would be interesting.

Anyway, don't waste too much energy on that. Your immune system might need it soon ;-)

@joej you have to be balanced about it, the approach you`re talking about is like taking a chunk of raw data (bits) and trying to figure out, without any clues, if the code is for 16 bit machines, 32 bit machines, the Operating System and other such details.

JoeJ and NikiTo stay rationale.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement