🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

End of the world

Started by
126 comments, last by Calin 4 years, 3 months ago

@JoeJ Dump the binary of a program that computes PI. Visualize it in a Hex Editor - this is your finite presentation of an "infinite" number.

Voila!

Advertisement

meh no. It's only a representation of a program which approximates PI if interpreted as intended. If i would feed it to a different computer probably it would spit out AGI instead PI by accident.

Never mind. I only replied to this thread to mix annoying notifications from another pointless thread with something new. It works.

:P

JoeJ said:
if interpreted as intended. If i would feed it to a different computer probably it would spit out AGI instead PI by accident.

I assume you don't sabotage the programs of other people.

Do you put weird stuff into your microwave? Your microwave could convert from a cooking tool into a bomb if you sabotage it. What is the point?

(FBI bots intensify with this thread “cooking”, “bomb”, “sabotage” in the same sentence xDDDD)

(NSA bots intensify with this thread "FBI", “cooking”, “bomb”, “sabotage” in the same sentence xDDDD)

(oops i just aborted an infinite loop)

Dump the binary of a program that computes PI. Visualize it in a Hex Editor - this is your finite presentation of an "infinite" number.

You are either being disingenuous or else have a poor grasp of mathematics and computer science.

Even a computer with infinite memory that is programmed to calculate Taylor series until the ineffable end of the universe is not the same thing as the value of pi, although it is an interesting argument that a representation of a thing (a map, say) is the thing itself (the territory, say). Shades of Platonic ideals, I suppose. Worth emptying some beer glasses over, certainly.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Bregma said:
although it is an interesting argument that a representation of a thing (a map, say) is the thing itself (the territory, say).

hmmm… i think that's exactly what is happening here in this thread, and it explains why a certain mindset and perception of reality can lead to the assumption modeling this reality would be doable or even easy.

What if ability to perceive reality in all its complexity is limited for some reason, while focus on a comprehensible system like a computer can be very detailed for the same reason?
Wouldn't this person tend to believe the computer system in all it's rich scope can represent pretty much everything?

@Bregma I could defeat your argument about PI, but it is something too valuable as to share it here.

My professor in math told to the students once: “We can see 2 chickens. We can touch and eat 2 chickens. But we can never touch the two there in front of the chickens. The number of TWO is something completely virtual. It doesn't exist."

Your whole math is virtual, dude!

Matter is virtual. Only force fields, nothing solid. The map and the terrain are both unreal. I can represent your map with the terrain and vice versa.

If it jumps like an atom and it walks like an atom, it must be an atom.

You need to rethink again your whole understanding about universe.

@joej You people are constantly bringing a real computer in the argument. I said it twice i am not talking about computers here, but data. Maybe it is a side effect of spending so much time on front of your computers that. you all are unable to detach your thinking from the clear image of a monitor and a keyboard you all have constantly in your minds.

Anyways, i know when i am right and outnumbered. Goodbye!

NikiTo said:
You people are constantly bringing a real computer in the argument. I said it twice i am not talking about computers here, but data.

Computers is topic if i got it right: Terminator technology and AI involve computers.

Saying matter is not solid, or thinking if it looks like X it is X… that's exactly what i mean. What if you do not know all about X? Or at least not all that matters to other individuals about X?

NikiTo said:
My professor in math told to the students once: “We can see 2 chickens. We can touch and eat 2 chickens. But we can never touch the two there in front of the chickens. The number of TWO is something completely virtual. It doesn't exist.

Ah, as I alluded above, Plato's “Republic” deals with this in the allegory of the cave using shadows instead of chickens. It's wonderful that you have been made aware of his concept of Forms, now go read the original to get a broader understanding. There have been many alternative philosophies of epistemology expressed in the 2500 years since Plato, you would also do well to study those (Aquinas, Descartes, Kant, Hume, among others). Maybe delve into non-Western thought, with which I am less familiar. The concepts of “what is real” and “what does it mean to know something” are not new. The answer to those questions are neither facile nor something a first-year student can really grasp after a throw-away line in a second-rate lecture hall.

As to “two”: it's not virtual, it's abstract. It's incorrect to say it doesn't exist, it's only correct to say it's intangible. Either way, it's still a very useful concept, and conception is important in true AI.

NikiTo said:
You need to rethink again your whole understanding about universe.

Maybe. I rethink it all the time. If you'd like a good starting point to enhance yours, I recommend Hawking's “A Brief History of Time”. It's very accessible and informative and it's not so long your lips will tire out as you read. The last chapter in particular is relevant.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

a representation of a thing is the thing itself

look at it terms of mipmaps (LOD wise). a model (representation of something) is that that thing at a smaller level. there is a full blown car, an exact scaled-down electrical replica for kids and then even a tiny representation for toddlers. they are all cars! it`s not a difference of quality but of quantity.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

NikiTo said:
If you ask 99.9999999999999999999% percent of programmers, a compiler produces better ASM code than anybody else.

Such an incorrect statement, of course knowing ASM gives you ability to optimize compiled binary in lots/most of cases!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement