🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OTF charsets issue

Started by
17 comments, last by wintertime 4 years ago

BlackJoker said:

Partially… I am not sure that ~4K entries can cover Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other languages.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this list seems not to be full or I am missing something?

Yes, you are missing that this list is by no means complete and authoritative.

This list comprises the set of glyph names from the AGLv2,0 which map

# to via the AGL rules to the semanticly correct Unicode value.

This means that if you use these glyph names, and you do not have to, AGL rules will use them for suitable Unicode characters, which as you already noticed don't range very far from Latin-1.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Advertisement

@lorenzogatti

Can you please clarify a little what is AGL and what rules it uses to find suitable Unicode characters?

I would appreciate anyone for detailed explanation of this AGL rules. What is it, how it works, etc.

Does anyone has knowledge about that?

Noone says you need to hard code a table. You could load it as a data file and then use it from your code.

@wintertime

Yeah, its not the big deal how to create this data.

I am worried about what to do, if I cannot find some symbols from user input inside this table because there will be no corresponding mapping between Unicode and AFII for example.

Thats the case, which I want understand how to handle correctly.

You could try to fall back to other fonts and if those also do not have the character you display the missing-character-square (and if you want display the hex code inside that, like browsers do).

@wintertime

You didn't answer my question.

My question was: How to match user input from keyboard (which will be definitely in Unicode) to the character inside font in case when some characters could be defined in AFII (not in Unicode).

For example, user press “A” button and I want to find this character in the font. This char definitely present there, but in AFII, which does not match to Unicode.

So, how to find this char in the font if it will be missing in the hardcoded data dictionary, but present in the font itself?

For that, you probably have to read the documentation for that table and/or file format yourself. I doubt anyone here would know that without doing the same.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement