🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computer Science Major Transferring to Full Sail University

Started by
15 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 11 months ago

Hello everyone, my name is Joe and I am currently a Computer Science major, however in my years taking this major I have noticed it hasn't been the full game development path I'd like to have. I am looking to possibly transfer to Full Sail University in Orlando Florida to study game design in their 20 month program to get the full scope of how to make games and how to sharpen my skills to make a great product. The problem is, is that the tuition for the course is 88,000 USD, which is understandable because it was in the top 25 schools for game design by "The Princeton Review". I am a very hard working guy and my dream is to design fun games for everyone to play and enjoy. I am very anxious to get my career rolling so if there is anyone or any business looking for a partnership I would love to hear from you. Have a great day and stay safe! -Joe

Advertisement

JoesCrabShak said:
if there is anyone or any business looking for a partnership

Thread moved to Hobby Project Classifieds.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hmmm.

How far are you in your CS degree?

IDK you or your experience or work ethic,, or commitment to games, but best advise I have is to save that 88K and finish your CS degree.

A game degree is not the golden ticket into games as most make it to be, and although my current art director and some of my company has come from full sail, a AAA studio will not be impressed with your games degree. Conventional employers even in tech will not know what to do with you, and in most cases choose to do nothing. The standard recruiter has no idea what to do with people with games degrees or experience. So most of them choose to do nothing.

The only reason you should consider transferring is for the connections you will make. If you want a degree from a school that will really impress the games industry you need to go to Digipen which is astronomically more expensive. and intense.

If you get a degree from full sail, you will be equipped and over qualified for rev share indies. and if that is fine with you, and you want to grow into it, and you want less pressure, and be fine with trying to start your own indie studio that's fine.

But if you want to one day get a full time job working in game dev, you should keep that uni degree or transfer to Degipen.

I'm guessing this is not your money. this is the money of your parents, and you are lucky they are so supportive of your dreams, you really have no idea how lucky you are to have supportive parents… sigh,,, but you should not take advantage of this. Just imagine how upset they will be if they paid for your CS degree, then paid for your Fullsail, only to have you work Rev share at a no name indie for years to try and justify the cost.

If you want experience:

https://gamedev.net/forums/topic/711945-places-to-look-for-game-dev-jobs-and-resources/

And find a project.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

@JoesCrabShak Full Sail is currently being investigated by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) for failing to meet educational standards.

Edit: I'd follow the development of this or call the school and ask about how it may affect you if you were to attend.

YesImAGamerGuy said:

@JoesCrabShak Full Sail is currently being investigated by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) for failing to meet educational standards.

@yesimagamerguy It took some digging to find what you were talking about. You could have provided better links.

I think what this means is that the business of educating people to work in games is a very tough business. You can have good faculty, with real creds, and good teaching materials, but it's hard. A lot of students aren't prepared for what game development is really like, and don't adapt to it well in college. Game Design is one of the most popular fields of study, with many students aspiring to be designers. It's specialized instruction, with a lot of fuzziness like what is fun, what game mechanics to use, play loops… Not everybody is cut out to be a designer. It's expensive because it's specialized. Full Sail also is located well away from the hotbeds of the industry: the west coast, dallas, research triangle. I'm not surprised the hiring rate isn't higher, just because locationX3.

Anyway, I guess I wanted to defend FSU there a little, when I skimmed that document I didn't feel like blaming anybody. I felt sympathy.

To @joescrabshak: I'm not saying go to a game school, I'm not saying don't go to a game school. I'm saying it's more expensive, and don't do it because you think that degree is better, because it's not better. It's equivalent but specialized. Go because you want the stuff you're going to learn there. I do not know how high the risk is that the school will lose accreditation, and I do not know what would happen if so. I do not think calling the school will get you good information on that. Of course they'd minimize the risk and encourage you to enroll.

So I just found out yesterday a very concerning thing about my art director who is a full sail grad.

Beyond schedule and budget, he had no idea what a producer does. or any of the skills it takes to be a producer.

He said they mentioned the job, but went in no detail about what they do or how important it is.

This is a massive oversight. How can a legit game dev school educate students if they don't inform people what a producer in the games industry does? He said he was an artist, and allegedly full sail has a masters in production. But still.

I even once read a game dev guide, that went through all the roles in the industry, but didn't mention the producer. I had to wait till the end of the book to find out this was written by a 3 year mobile dev.

If your a programmer, be a programmer, you don't need full sail on your resume to proove you can do it just go out and create a game. with a team.

Our company homepage:

My New Book!:

@Tom Sloper My apologies Full Sail’s possible loss of accreditation concern : fullsail (reddit.com)

I just got the message via email, I did not think there would be any information online.

GeneralJist said:
He said they mentioned the job, but went in no detail about what they do or how important it is.

It's always been a job that is not understood and not appreciated. Very few students want to study it, so schools have no incentive to teach it.

YesImAGamerGuy said:
Full Sail’s possible loss of accreditation concern : fullsail (reddit.com)

I ignored Reddit findings when I did my search. The accsc.org website has the definitive information. @yesimagamerguy , you got an email and then you created an account here and shared negative info about an institution here? Makes your motives look questionable (which is why I dug deeply into your accusation in the first place, needed to be sure you weren't just trying to torpedo the institution).

Tom Sloper said:
It's always been a job that is not understood and not appreciated. Very few students want to study it, so schools have no incentive to teach it.

Well,

I'm going to do something about this.

understanding the role of a producer is critical if you want to make it big or get to be a full time dev. Having an honest appreciation of this job is critical if the industry is to last long into the future and train successive generations.

I understand education has devolved into a business like any other. But it shouldn't be. That is one of the major issues.

FSU and most people don't know how to train these people, so they choose to ignore this oversight, and the result ultimately is money is wasted, lives are ruined, projects are canceled. workers get mental health issues, burn out , leave the industry etc. etc.

Not understanding the value of a producer is a major educational oversight. and If I was in the government, which I may one day be, I'd revoke accreditation to any game dev school that doesn't have at minimum a paper assigned so everyone knows what these people do.

Game dev educators this is also on you.

Our company homepage:

My New Book!:

Also, there are companies that do not believe in producers. Naughty Dog, for instance.

But I fear the OP's thread has veered way off course, and I am partially at fault. @joescrabshak , you may want to start a new thread to address your needs. I believe you were offering yourself up for “partnerships”?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement