🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Procedural Generation Discussion

Started by
12 comments, last by Warp9 1 year, 10 months ago

@code4broke : In response to your statement about furniture,

I'm writing overly complex sets of rules for each individual type of furniture and it has me wondering if there's a better way

There would need to be more information to see how you're actually doing things (some specific examples of furniture, as used in your system, would be nice here). However, going on the very little you've said about this problem, I can take a stab at it. . . I'd suggest that if, you are writing an “overly complex set of rules for each individual type of item,” then you are probably doing something wrong (IMO of course). I would recommend using a more generalized rule set, which can be flexible, based on various stats that a given item of furniture might possess.

Advertisement

@embassy of time Hey sorry for the late reply, I don't have a video specifically on the topic of cave generation, but if you go back and look at any of my previous YouTube videos they all take place in generated caves, even the town generation does actually, just with the percentage of empty squares increased substantially. If the results I have are what you're after then I'm happy to answer any questions.

@code4broke : I like that you are including multiple algorithms for procedural generation in each scene (caves vs buildings).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement