🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

could you check my demo???

Started by
51 comments, last by Bruno 23 years, 11 months ago
Did you use any clipping for this demo? I''m asking that because the fps drops dangerously down when we aren''t looking at a wall. By opposition, the fps reaches 100 and + when in one of the closed corridor... That open space thing can really be a pain in the ass...
Advertisement
awesome in windowed mode. However, my graphics card doesn''t support 800*600,so you should be able to pick a different defaul resolution in a config file or something.
How did you do your alpha channel? I followed NeHe''s tutorial on it and it wouldn''t work.
If all these errors are so fatal, why am I still alive?
Very Nice

Domini
Looks great.

I get up to 220fps.
120fps when up close to the monster.
On average I get about 170fps.

I was initially getting 1fps until I completely disabled my dualhead monitor support for the G400. So if anyone else is getting low fps and has the g400, try disabling the second monitor completely under the Display Properties -> advanced button -> DualHead Tab. You''ll have to reboot.

I noticed a problem with the lighting. When I was facing the monsters back it was lit just fine. When I tried to go around front of him and look at his face he was very dark, so was the rest of the hallway, but only when I was facing the beast.

ao
Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com
Yeah, I noticed the lighting thing too.

One other thing I noticed is that vertical movement of the mouse resulted in pretty choppy ''look up & look down'' animation. (Razer Boomslang 2000)

Horizontal movement was lighting fast though. almost to the point of uncontrollable. I had to turn my mouses resolution down to minimum before I could reliably control my movement
I''ve noticed that i got a lot higher fps when i for example faced a wall.
How do you "discard" polygons that aren''t visible?

//Ankan
That''s easy in OpenGL. glCullFace(GL_BACK);

JoeMont001@aol.com
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Is it just me because when I try to download this demo file it says "404 Forbidden access" or something like that. What''s going on here then?????

It ok I''ve managed to download it now. I must say it''s quite impressive. On my Voodoo 3 2000 and Athlon 600 with 128MB I get on average 50-60 FPS. It just seems to run really slugishly despite the frame rates, maybe it just needs optimizing.

Hi
Very nice to see so many people looking at my demo
Well,regarding blendig, is exactly the wy nehe does it...
After i draw the entire world, i make the plane of the water,

glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE);
glEnable(GL_BLEND);
glColor4f(1.0,0.0,1.0,0.6);

here i draw the plane

glDisable(GL_BLEND);
as for clipping, all i do is what julio said , glCullFace(GL_BACK) , all the clipping is managed by opengl.., maybe someone can enlight me to on this,if glCullFace is not doing the clipping how is opengl doing it? It seems that he doesn''t render what is not on the screen ,so that''s why we get a so high fps when we look to a wall, i''m not using any bsp or anything...
any expert comment??
the mouse, yeah, my brother also complained about the mouse, i have to change the sensitivity on that..

thanks to all

Bruno

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement