🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Official SICP/Scheme Study Group Registration (up. 1/26)

Started by
65 comments, last by kSquared 17 years, 3 months ago
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
SamLowry:

My experience is that students with an imperative background have the most trouble with the concept of statelessness, because it's seldom mentioned explictly (or at least explicitly enough, it seems). They stumble on the initial examples in SICP and elsewhere because they try to write them imperatively.

As to how clear the explanation is... probably not very, I admit. Help me fix it; the text I posted is meant as discussion fodder.

I actually intend this as more of a cautionary note for imperative programmers than a real introduction: that's what SICP is for. So I think it should be as short as possible so people actually bother to read it (shorter than it is now).

Maybe another cautionary explanation should be given about binding vs. assignment.

Ah, and I love the Why FP paper, it's one of the things that keeps me warm during the functional winter. It should go in the links section. You're right that it's skewed more toward more pure languages than scheme; it'll still be very relevant when we get to SICP's lazy evaluator. And it's very motivational.

I've made an attempt to write my own introduction based on your and Rebooted's explanation, covering the topics you considered important. I made it a bit more theoretical than yours, but less than Rebooted's. The problem is that it ended up a lot longer. I prefered not to use Python as I'm not too familiar with it, and the introduction of new bindings looks so ambiguous to me. I also tried to give small hints towards the future, so as to provide not only a "what" but also a "why". Anyway, I have lost the ability to objectively judge it, so I'm relying on you to criticize it all you want. I've been looking up information where I thought it was necessary, so I hope there are no blatant mistakes in it.

The theoretical
Imperative programming sees the computer as a processor attached to memory. The memory consists of memory cells which can be read from and written to. An application is a series of sequentially executed instructions which manipulate the values in these cells. This model is very close to how our computers really work.

Functional programming is based on a more abstract model, the lambda calculus. This language provides you only with 3 basic concepts: symbols, functions, and function applications (maybe it's more interesting to point out what it does not support: no numbers, no data structures, no loops, no recursion, ... yet it is still turing complete, i.e. given code in any language, you can translate it into lambda-calculus code which will behave exactly the same, at least if you ignore performance). An application can be seen as one giant mathematical expression which has to be evaluated.

The most important difference between these two models is the dimension of time: using imperative style makes the effect of instructions dependent on time (i.e. dependent on when the instruction is executed, because the machine is in different states at different times), while functional style does not know such a dimension: it can be proven that whatever order you choose to evaluate the giant mathematical expression in, the result will stay the same. This makes using powerful concepts such as non-strict evaluation (evaluating expressions only when absolutely necessary), memoization (remembering previous computations), futures/dataflow variables (makes multithreading a lot simpler), ... a lot more easier to use.

The less theoretical
In an imperative setting, a function can
a) return a value and
b) manipulate the machine's state
Both these actions can depend on the arguments the function is called with and the machine's current state. If a function is fed the same arguments twice, it's possible the results will differ, meaning state can be seen as an implicit, hidden dependency. Imperative programming languages try their best to provide programmers with structure so that the reach of a function's dependencies can be limited, e.g. OO tries to limit influence by grouping things in objects and explicitly stating which object can reach what other objects.

In the functional model, there is no state, which means a function's only effect can be to return a value, and this result can only depend on the arguments provided, hence all dependencies are made explicit. Keep in mind that the arguments themselves are part of the state, so these cannot be modified either. Some consequences of this are that functions which take no arguments are constant (will always return the same value), and that having a function with void return type is rather useless.

An example with data structures
Let's consider the list data structure and the insert operation. In an imperative setting, the code would look something like
contains(list, x) => falseinsert(list, x)contains(list, x) => true

As you can see, contains returns a different result depending on the time you call it. In a functional setting however, the function cannot change the list object, so you'd have to write
contains(lst1, x) => falselst2 = insert(lst1, x)contains(lst1, x) => falsecontains(lst2, x) => true

The insert function needs to create a new object and return that as its result. This might look very inefficient, but it isn't necessarily: since you have the guarantee nothing will ever be modified, you can reuse parts of lst1 to build lst2. More on this in SICP.

State in functional languages
We have seen both the imperative style (stateful) and the functional style (stateless) of programming. An imperative programming language is one that pushes the programmer more towards the imperative style, but certainly does not make the functional style impossible. The same is true for functional languages: most functional languages offer state in one way or another, e.g. Scheme lets you modify your variables, SML and Oz provide cells, O'Caml offers mutable record fields, ... Haskell is one of the few languages that can be called purely functional because it has made no concessions whatsoever to the imperative world.

So, one could say that imperative languages make their variables mutable by default, which can often be overridden using a keyword ('const' in C++, 'readonly' in C#, 'final' in Java, ...), while functional languages often prefer to make their variables immutable, except for those where the programmer explicitly asks for mutability.

The cell
A functional programming language consists of having values which you apply to functions (functions themselves are also values, which leads to higher-order programming, but we'll leave that topic to SICP). A cell is a special kind of object (or value, here considered the same thing) which has a content that can be modified as though it was a normal mutable variable. The following O'Caml code
let total = ref 0and current = ref 1inwhile !current <= 10 do  total := !total + !current;  current := !current + 1done;!total

computes the sum of all numbers from 1 through 10 in an imperative way. The '!'-operator must be used to fetch to contents of the cell, and the ':=' operator serves to modify its contents. Cell creation is done with ref.

We could say that an imperative language automatically creates the cell for you when necessary, whereas functional languages do not.

Bindings
Programming languages generally offer you the possibility to use identifiers to name things, such as arguments, functions, ... A binding determines what an identifier actually refers to. Let's work in the functional model and pretend C++ automatically creates cells for you, then the following code
int x = 5;

leads to the following configuration:
x ---> cell ---> 5

The right arrow represents the contents of the cell, and can be changed using the '=' operator (in C++). The left arrow is called the binding: it determines to what the identifier 'x' refers. 'x' can be rebound to another value/object by introducing a new scope in which 'x' is redeclared:
int x;void f(int x){    for ( int x = 0; x != 10; ++x )    {        ...    }}class A{    public A(int x) : x(x) { }    private int x;};

A binding 'x->value' has a scope, i.e. the places in your code where 'x' will refer to 'value'. There are different kinds of scoping; most languages use lexical scoping, but dynamic scoping is another possibility which will be discussed in SICP.

Bindings can sometimes lead to confusion, consider this O'Caml code:
let x = 5;;let y () =  print_int x;;let x = 8;;

Calling 'y' will print 5, not 8, since the 'x' in the function body is bound by the first 'let'-statement. Here, the difference between binding and assignment is made clear: the second 'let' introduces a new binding for 'x', and does not assign a value to a cell attached to 'x' (since there is no cell). The following code uses assignment instead:
let x = ref 5;;let y () =  print_int !x;;x := 8;;

Calling 'y' will print 8 in this case.

It is important to make the difference between binding and assignment: what leads to the most confusion is the fact that same operator '=' is given different meanings in different languages. Imperative languages such as C++, C# and Java use it for expressing assignment, Scheme uses it for numerical comparison, O'Caml, SML and Haskell use it to express bindings, Prolog and Oz for unification, ...
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by SamLowry
I've made an attempt to write my own introduction based on your and Rebooted's explanation, covering the topics you considered important. I made it a bit more theoretical than yours, but less than Rebooted's.
Sounds good to me. I know mine was overly-theoretical, it's more a laundry list of things I'd want to explain than an actual explanation.

Quote:
Both these actions can depend on the arguments the function is called with and the machine's current state. If a function is fed the same arguments twice, it's possible the results will differ, meaning state can be seen as an implicit, hidden dependency.
Very good point. I think its fair to say that in the same way that object orientated code is more modular than procedural code because it has no global state, functional code is more modular than OOP because it has no state at all.

Quote: I've been looking up information where I thought it was necessary, so I hope there are no blatant mistakes in it.
Not that I can see. My only nitpick is that there are no symbols in the lambda calculus - all values are lambdas.

I think this is incorrect though:
Quote:
Haskell is one of the few languages that can be called purely functional because it has made no concessions whatsoever to the imperative world.

Consider this code:
do {  a <- getChar;  putChar a;  a <- getChar;  putChar a;}

Here, I'm doing assignment in Haskell. True, this isn't within a function (since functions are lazy, they have to be pure), its within the IO monad (something Haskell has to explicitly order operations, since it is lazy), but even Haskell has support for imperative features. I think some of the things people say about Haskell being "pure" just lead to confusion.

Good introduction though, I think between the three of us we've probably nailed it.
Are we reading SICP or writing it? :D

Really though, imperative programming is not introduced until chapter 3 of the book. It is really important that students keep this in mind; the only way you can write C style Scheme code when working SICP is if you skip ahead. When you are working chapter 1, all you have is lambda abstractions and a few (functional) primitives.

So, my point is this: there's not a whole lot of use in talking about different paradigms as a precursor to SICP -- that's what SICP is for. The important things to focus on right now are the methods students will use to be successful when self studying the book. Here's what I did:

- Read the book. Pay particular attention to terminology used and the justification for different examples provided.
- Work the problems. Make sure you are doing these problems within the framework the book has provided.
- Ask questions when you find yourself confused about *concepts*. Understanding the concepts of the book is sufficient for solving the problems, but not vice versa. So don't ask about problems until you have tried and failed... because figuring out stuff on your own is the only way you will ever get a true understanding.
Quote: Original post by Rebooted
I think this is incorrect though:
Quote:
Haskell is one of the few languages that can be called purely functional because it has made no concessions whatsoever to the imperative world.

Consider this code:
do {  a <- getChar;  putChar a;  a <- getChar;  putChar a;}

Here, I'm doing assignment in Haskell. True, this isn't within a function (since functions are lazy, they have to be pure), its within the IO monad (something Haskell has to explicitly order operations, since it is lazy), but even Haskell has support for imperative features. I think some of the things people say about Haskell being "pure" just lead to confusion.

Good introduction though, I think between the three of us we've probably nailed it.

Well, monads *are* purely functional. Take a look at this code (it is CPS, hence monadic. RETURN is just the identity function):

(getchar   (lambda (a)     (putchar a       (lambda (x)         (getchar           (lambda (a)             (putchar a               (lambda (x)                 (return '())))))... let's add some syntax (and drop unused variables)...getchar -> aputchar agetchar -> aputchar areturn '()

See? Purely functional. On the other hand, "If it looks like a duck, and acts like a duck...". The fact that you can use an imperative "style" in a purely functional language shouldn't be all that surprising to some of you; after all, C *does* have a denotational semantics. With a little bit of syntax the denotational semantics is more like an interpreter for C written in a functional language.

[Edited by - The Reindeer Effect on November 11, 2006 2:18:29 PM]
Name: CTar
I am interested in joining the group as a: Student
My experience with Scheme is: Little, skimmed the first 2 chapters of SICP
My experience with general programming is: Somewhat experienced. Mostly OO, I have had some minimal experience with functional programming though.
Timezone: GMT+1
Quote: Original post by thebolt00
I think one thing to consider before starting is still the scope. SICP goes quite far, and the later chapters (or at least chapter 5) is more of theoretical comp.sci. intrest than "useful" for coding. Also one should remeber that SICP only covers a subset of what you can do in Scheme (for example it does not show any IO other than through the REPL, that is the interpreter). Maybe a slight alteration to include such parts would be of good use?

IO is a more practical aspect we could tackle, but I don't think of it as particularly interesting, it's rather simple to do in Scheme (now, if it were Haskell we'd be using, that would be another matter). But as far as I remember, SICP doesn't speak of the macro-functionality offered by Scheme (define-syntax, ...) or continuations (call/cc). I'd say that macros especially would be very interesting to discuss.

Anyway, it seems to me it'd be best for the students to decide what extra topics should be included. For now, let's try to get this thing started and see how it goes.
As far as extra topics go, the more experienced should give us some options at least as a starting point. Well when that time comes.

The intro to functional programming post(s) should be put together from the 3/4 contributors and made into an official document. I think you can leave the getchar/putchar example out though [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote: Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
As far as extra topics go, the more experienced should give us some options at least as a starting point. Well when that time comes.

The intro to functional programming post(s) should be put together from the 3/4 contributors and made into an official document. I think you can leave the getchar/putchar example out though [smile]

I agree, could the contributors talk about it (maybe through PM) if they want and then one of them finalize it? We're not going to be able to please everyone with it, so just do what you think is best and it'll be fine. There's some good material there!
Quote: Original post by okonomiyaki
Any word from Muhammed Haggag (sp?) about things?

I've sent superpig a pointer to this thread, together with a request to create a forum for the workshop/study group.

Quote: Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote: Original post by okonomiyaki
Any word from Muhammed Haggag (sp?) about things?

I've sent superpig a pointer to this thread, together with a request to create a forum for the workshop/study group.

Great! Thanks, for now people could start reading chapter one to get pumped up... we'll wait on the forum to start I guess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement