Advertisement

Official SICP/Scheme Study Group Registration (up. 1/26)

Started by November 08, 2006 10:11 AM
65 comments, last by kSquared 17 years, 5 months ago
I'm in as a student and feeling extra rebellious, so I refute your dictatorial forms. Avast!
The SICP Workshop forum has been created.

Name: Muhammad Haggag
I am interested in joining the group as a: Student | Moderator
My experience with Scheme is: Mediocre (Read through parts of SICP before, but didn't finish)
My experience with general programming is: Experienced (mostly C++)
Timezone: GMT+2

Advertisement
Ok, I'll bite.

I am interested in joining the group as a: mentor
My experience with Scheme is: mature
My experience with general programming is: immature ;)
Timezone: cst
I am interested as joining as a student.

No scheme experience. My previous experience with functional programming is minimal. I did a uni course on haskell, but that was WORSE than expected. Not possible, I hear you saying, but it was.

My general programming experience is pretty good.

Timezone is GMT+8

This workshop is an awsome idea, we need more of them.
I'd really like to take part in this study group but I'm curious about the math requirements. My math skills are really weak - am I going to be follow along or be lost in the first chapter? What should I study up on? At this point, I can barely do basic algebra. :(

Does anyone have any good links that could help me get up to snuff without spending a ton of money?
Quote: Original post by Gary the Llama
I'd really like to take part in this study group but I'm curious about the math requirements. My math skills are really weak - am I going to be follow along or be lost in the first chapter? What should I study up on? At this point, I can barely do basic algebra. :(

Does anyone have any good links that could help me get up to snuff without spending a ton of money?

The book we use is available for free online, and interpreters/compilers for most popular platforms can also be found. See this thread. Hence, no cost to you whatsoever.

Math skills are not really required for Scheme (not more than for any other language), but the book likes to use math in its examples (mostly in the first chapter since data structures haven't been discussed yet, and also the derivatives-example comes to mind). Feel free to ask for help and we'll do our best to either explain or provide you with equivalent math-free examples.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by SamLowry
The book we use is available for free online, and interpreters/compilers for most popular platforms can also be found. See this thread.

Oh yeah, I found those. I was referring to math books or online sites to start working on my math skills. :)
I just found this, but I'm interested in joining.

Name: programwizard
I am interested in joining the group as a: Student
My experience with Scheme is: A little bit, I've written the famous factorial function, I know the basics like cons lists and lambda expressions, and I've done a bit of GUI work in DrScheme.
My experience with general programming is: I've been programming for about a year and a half now. I've got the most experience with C, C++, and Java, but I've also worked with C# and Python, and right now I'm learning OCaml.
Timezone: U.S. eastern.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Hey guys, thanks for your interest! I'll update the list soon. I also really need to update my post about the study group because it's changed a lot since I wrote it.
Nice. Is it too late too join? Im interested in joining as a student.

Can we have a Haskell workshop too? ;) These two strike me as being well suited to learn together.

snk_kid?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement