🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

01.03 - Comments and Suggestions

Started by
72 comments, last by Teej 20 years, 10 months ago
Dungeon Master.

You can get the DirectX SDK on CD. Microsoft will send you it. It isn''t free though. I don''t recall how much it is, but it isn''t very expensive, so you could get it that way.
Advertisement
Hi, Teej;

By the time that you get your tutorials up and running, you''re going to need a pacemaker for your heart. I sure hope you don''t buy it from the company that sold you your computer.

Good luck.
Actually, I bought the parts OEM and put the system together myself.

HAAAAHAAHAAAHAAHAAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAA...

Figures.

Teej

I searched the microsoft site for a LONG time and still haven''t found a link to be able to buy a SDK cd, does anyone know where I could find that link(I''ve already tried microsoft''s help...those losers). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Dungeon Master
i''m not sure why the ''order sdk cd rom'' link for dx7 isn''t working, but here is the url

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/downloads.asp

if your on a lan, just setup the download and go watch some tv or something. or setup a ftp server,and i can up it to you.

if your looking for dx8, then disregard above.
wb

I''m not sure where to go about getting a CD from Microsoft, but I did have a thought: Depending on the price of the CD, wouldn''t it be a better investment to buy a game development book that has the SDK included in its CD?

I''m sure that the most common recommendation going is Andre Lamothe''s book, and although it''s DirectX 7.0, I''m pretty sure that you get the complete SDK on one of the CDs. You also get the student version of Microsoft Visual C++. And if that wasn''t enough, you get some great 3D books on CD as well, along with other shareware apps and game resources.

Just a thought...

Teej

Hey! Teej, great job!

It is true that the code on your turotials are realy small and i get hard time to read them on my 15" monitor.

Other thing, i did not see anything on this forum that talk about you. I did not search the rest of the site though, i was too much into the forum. Who are you Teej? What is your background? What stated you to code for games? Why help us, the poors wanna be coders that take so much of your time?

Whatever the reasons, thanks to beeing there.

Lancelot

Life is endlessly short.
LancelotLife is endlessly short.
does anyone know where I can get some C/C++ headers??? Because I have a rather good compiler(well that''s my newbie opinion; correct me if I''m wrong please) but it has next to no headers..
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Radium(Jack)
-Radium(Jack)
RadiumJack: You''re going to need more than headers... a header file contains only prototypes (usually) for the real code that resides in either a .C/.CPP/.LIB file. So, depending on what you''re trying to import, you''ll need the corresponding file that contains the header prototype''s implementation. Also, you should be warned that even this won''t always work, as libraries that are pre-compiled may be incompatible with yours...

Teej
Hey Teej,
I just found this amazing forum today and I must say I''m very impressed, but at the same time I was sort of disappointed. I''m currently trying to learn D3D8 after having written two small games in DDraw7 and I haven''t had much luck finding any resources on the web beyond nexe and drunken hyena (which are two great sites, btw). My main problem area is that I''m not down with all the 3D math and concepts that I need to fully understand what I''m doing. Anyway, the point of my post is to just encourage you to get some more math based topics up and hurry up to the 3D! Oh and also, on the note of Direct Draw 7. I found something "Very" interesting in the Dx8 SDK. All the Direct Draw demo''s use Direct Draw 7 but they use two wrappers for DD. CDisplay and CSurface. I went hunting around for them and found them to be in ddutil.h and ddutil.cpp. No longer do those two files contain a slew of functions for making DD stuff easier like they did in the Dx7 SDK, but now they contain two classes that act as wrappers for Direct Draw7! I''m talkin serious wrappage. For example, creating a full screen display and a front\back buffer chain is as simple as:

CDisplay *DD; // This would be global, since it''s our Direct Draw object wrapper

DD = new CDisplay; // This would go in our WinMain

// Change the resolution to the passed values and set the color depth to bPP
DD->CreateFullScreenDisplay(winHandle, screenWidth, screenHeight, bPP);

It has similar functions for creating palettes and surfaces, and you can get the DDraw object and the front\back buffers. So if you need to manually do something... like lock the back buffer you could do

DD->GetBackBuffer()->Lock(...);

Check it out its in the mssdk\samples\media\common\* directories!

If you need any help figuring out how those two classes work, feel free to ask cause I''ve played around with them quite a bit.

Keep up the great work!

- Clash
- www.zeroinfinity.net
- A New World, Built By New Minds
- Clash- www.zeroinfinity.net- A New World, Built By New Minds

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement