🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

02.02 - Game Development Tools

Started by
58 comments, last by Teej 20 years, 3 months ago
at last! i now know im not the only one with problems with Dev C and pointing it to the DX. Could someone please explain as fully as possible what to do. Ive gone to compiler options to include the Locations of the Direct Headers and Libaries in the relevant fields. However it messes up! Im also stumped as to what the difference is between the option to include the path in the field which you have to check and the fields directly below. Someone mentioned adding trunks but im a newbie (Though not dumb)! Any help much appreciated.

What are other alternatives - maybe all the cheap guys searching for a compiler (like me) who cant afford Visual C should group together and decide on a shareware one to use. Not only would this make it easy to help each other out on compiler issues it should also help us to get on to the real issue of making games.

Laters
Aki
Advertisement
adamakhtar,

Alot of programming books come with a free Introductory version of MSVC++. You won''t be able to release anything you make because of a nag screen that pops up everytime you run your program, but it''s perfectly fine to learn with. I got my copy with "Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre LaMothe.
I can also recommend "Game programming starter kit 4.0", it''s very good. The game writing guide book is brilliant, some exellent advice from the greatest people in the games industry.
O well it seems to me that some ppls missed it. well as it''s true i don''t have any idea of a free editer compiler there is a one pakage deal. called Visual C++ it has a built in editor and compiler and debugger in one. i think it''s pretty good.

Who says it has to make sense?
Who says it has to make sense?
Hi.. quite new in this forum..

Anyway. There is a free IDE for Win95/98/2000 (should work on ME too). It''s called Quincy2000 and can be used with BCC55 (free) or the GCC compiler. It''s look/feel is close to MSVC++.

Just follow this link:

http://www.midifitz.com/alstevens/quincy.html

Will code anything for free beer!
There was one I found a while back - LCC-Win32. I think it''s GNU license, and as far as I can remember it can build DX apps. not sure though.

Sound - anyone tried CoolEdit? (http://www.syntrillium.com/)

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I know that Teej is in love with PaintShop Pro. However, it is quite expensive and, with each new version, it becomes more difficult to use.

If you are interested in a graphics program that is better than Microsoft Paint (but not as powerful as Paintshop Pro), try the FREEWARE program "ImageForge" from CursorArts. The URL is http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_imffw.html .

If you would like a more powerful program, try "ImageForgePro". It costs $28.95 (US) and is available from http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_imf.html . (You can get the trial version for a 20 day evaluation and then register online if you want to continue using it).

ImageForgePro will probably be good enough for most (if not all) of the projects that Teej is going to throw at us. But the main advantage is that it is a relatively powerful program that is very easy to use.
If you can find the demo version of PaintShop Pro 3, the 30 day trial doesn''t ever take effect. I got to at least day 300 something before I caved in and bought 7. I still can''t believe they took the softening tool out of the later ones, though...

logic errors dont kill people, people kill people...
logic errors dont kill people, people kill people...
heheh i´m back, i finally got visual c++ 6.0 in an illegal way...i don´t have much money so...and i also have the directx runtimes and the sdk!!!!!! AT LAST READY TO START!!!!

Pd: good luck to those of you who are still in the search for the compiler...
How did you get MSVC++ for free(illegally?)?

SEZ
-darkcoder8

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement