🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

01.02 - Enrolment Roster

Started by
723 comments, last by clum 20 years, 1 month ago
I am not entirely sure what I am doing here being that I have little programming experience. However, I have an innate desire to create video games, and that desire has led me to this forum. I hope I get as much out of this forum as I am hoping for right now, and I would like to thank all those involved in providing it.

--"Luck is something that happens to the prepared mind"
--"Luck is something that happens to the prepared mind"
Advertisement
Wha....? Where''re the posts?

Oh well, I''m glad I got that source code when I did

I''m in. I''ve been doing this for almost a year now, but have picked up some good pointers. Tell me we''re not doing Tetris and Pac-man again. If I may suggest, what about a vertical shooter; them''s dirt simple. Or better yet, a horizontal one a la Gradius/R-Type with level collision detection.

My 2 cents. I''m looking forward to being here.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Bring it on teej... I signed in the other enrollment but I will sign it here again.

I turn pixels into gold!!!

d00dzs
José Correia AKA d00dzs posting...HEEELLLOO
Here I am, yearning for every bit of information.

Ja ne,
Pazu
mailto: pazu@animegaiden.com.br

Close the world, open the neXt
Ja ne, Pazu mailto: pazu@animegaiden.com.brClose the world, open the neXt
I think it''s time to sigh in!

I''ve been using this forum for some time now, so the least I can do is letting you guys know that I''m using it.

By the way, i think this site is a great idea. Thanks, Teej!!

I Mephisto I

Well, I''m a bit late, I think -- but I''ll catch up. Well, perhaps not all that late.

I''m a big game buff, and was very much impressed by your "Start Here" post. Man, you just don''t find enough people out there than share that insatiable passion to "create." It doesn''t have to be in video games, it can be anywhere...

So, I''ve got old DOS/Console programming knowledge in C/C++. Played w/ a few MUD programs before (mainly ROM & MERC) so I understand C pointers (somewhat), and advanced data structures. Tried my hand at Door programming (for BBS''s, if any of you are that old). Obviously, game programming isn''t a totally new concept for me, just that I''m somewhat antique. =)

You mentioned making games is "building dreams." And, I ruefully admit, that however passionate I feel on the topic, the business of "building dreams" is not a very profitable one. I agree that the gaming industry is among the few surviving industries out there (especially w/ 90% of technology industries taking such a huge blow these day -- have YOU been watching NASDAQ?!), however, the programmers are the least paid. Truly, those hauling home the hefty paychecks, are the graphics people, artists mainly. This is what I gather from poking around half-hearted at the professional game industry, so please correct me if I''m wrong!

In any case, to me, game programming is a passion and a personal goal of my life; however, not something to bring home the bacon. Being a young, new aspiring code junkie, I doubt I''ll ever stray far from my compiler in whatever ventures I choose to pursue; but I''ll more than likely end up programming systems to guide rockets, track airborn missiles w/ lasers, or something of the sort...

In closing, thanks to Teej, whose time & patience I very much appreciate, for accepting a new apprentice -- and passing on the art of dreaming...

---
~khal
---~khal
On my way ....
Definitly i think this is one of the best ways to learn.
Hey, back for more here as well. Let's get this party moving!

Oh, and while I'm here, gotta give props to Java. For those of you who haven't done much programming before, and can't afford one of those nice C/C++ development environments, Sun has everything you'd need downloadable for free, and the language syntax is similar to C/C++ (except WAY more OO, which lends itself nicely to games, IMO). I'm planning on doing any (well, the small ones) game projects in both Java and C/C++, so if anyone's interested in Java at all, I'll try to lend a hand wherever possible.

P.S. -- For those of you who think Java is horridly slow, try the VM's that have come out more recently than 1.1 -- night and day difference, seriously.

Edited by - Piotyr on April 9, 2001 10:14:15 AM
PiotyrSoftware Engineer by day, Game developer by nightThe early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Hello, Teej;

I''m still out here, lurking around GDNet. Good luck with the resurrection of your tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement